Mouse infestation. Please open!

I am disgusted! We just moved in this house 2 months ago.
They harvested the corn fields around the house a couple weeks ago and it has been mouse city in my house since! In the first few days, I would get back to back mice in the snap traps.
It has settled down to about 2 mice a day, but I can hear them in the walls. They wake us up fighting and squealing at night. It makes me sick.
My house is clean, I have all the food in my pantry in plastic containers so they aren't eating my food.
But I found "evidence" they have been in my DD's clothes drawer!
We rent. So who is responsible for an exterminater? Us or the landlord?
And if it is us, we can't afford it so what other ideas can you give me to get rid of these?
I have a 2 year old, so poison is not an option (I would be paranoid she would get into it!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Home & Garden

• The landlord is responsible. Call him up.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:31 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Unfortunately an exterminator isn't going to do you any good if the house isn't secured first - holes plugged, screens fixed, etc. The landlord is responsible for first fixing up the house, and then having the problem taken care of. We used to live in a crappy little house surrounded on all 4 sides by fields, and now own our own home just across the road from a field - it had alfalfa this year, and will for the next 2 years, so we have less mouse problem than usual. The year we had mice in the house there had been soybeans in that field. Anyway, call up the landlord, and tell him he needs to take care of it yesterday. Quick, cheap, easy fixes you can do in the meantime - get a can of great stuff - expanding foam insulation - use it everywhere there's even a chance a mouse can get through - they can get through a hole the size of a pencil. And keep the traps out!
    Anonymous