Is it wrong to be christian and have pagan beliefs also?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• SabrinaMBowen

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:05 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I guess it depends on what those pagan beliefs are. You would have to be specific and elaborate, maybe give us a for-instance?
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I don't know, I'm starting to believe more and more of pagan/wiccan beliefs but i still believe a lot of my childhood faith. i do believe in jesus but i could be a full blown pagan too. maybe i believe too much?
    Anonymous

• Just thought of something....I'm putting up a Christmas tree and I think it has been unquestionably proven that the practice of decorating an evergreen tree during December has it's beginning in Paganism. I don't think it clashes with my Christian beliefs because I don't worship the tree. It is just a decoration. Make sense? You are probably talking about something a little deeper, though.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:51 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• *Didn't mean it to sound like Pagans "worship" fir trees, lol, that's not what I meant.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i guess I would say depends on what those beliefs are. Are you referring to any particular beliefs or just as a whole? I would not think it would be okay to worship deities other than God, but some pagan beliefs are very similar to Christian beliefs. I do think it is okay to believe in "magic" because looking at some of the things that are told of in the Bible (immaculate conception, bringing the dead back to life, etc...those would all be considered "magical". I think as long as you are living as God would want you to, and believing only in Him as God, then sharing some pagan beliefs is not a bad thing.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:52 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Also it is true, parts of Christianity are BASED on pagan beliefs too. Here is a very interesting article I just found and read, and I have read many of these things before too.

http://apocryphaltext.tripod.com/Gospels.PaganMythos.htm
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:54 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i have a christian upbringing and though i'm not a fully converted pagan, I hold a lot of the nature-based beliefs. Christians and pagans both believe in being good to yourself and nice to others. they ave many opposite beliefs but some similar beliefs. like another pp wrote, it depends on WHAT the beliefs are
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Its hard for some people to separate the two because we grew up celebrating xmas and easter and halloween and other things with pagan origins. it is wrong though.
    Anonymous

• it really depends. do you believe in the Pagan Gods? that might make it hard to be both. but the reverence for nature can easily fall into Christian beliefs.

there is a branch of Wiccans that also claim Christianity. try this http://www.religioustolerance.org/witchcr5.htm.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2009