Do you have a Picky eater too?

So my sister- in-law has a 2 1/2 year old. She wont eat anything besides ravioli, grilled cheese, cheerios, eggs and toast. She asked me to ask what do you think she should do? Does she give in and give her what she wants or does she make her eat what shes serving? I didnt how to respond to her question concidering mine is so little and doesnt eat food. What can she doess about her 2 year old picky lady?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its usually just a stage they go through. Mine is the same age. I try to get him to eat a bite of what I fix, then he's done. He usually asks for a piece of bread with butter later (thats his "thing" right now) and I do let him have it. He'll grow out of it.
    armywife7885

Answer by armywife7885 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• My daughter is 21 months old and is an extremely picky eater. Some days it would seem like she wouldn't eat at all. I even took her to the doctor to see if I needed to worry about nutrition. They told me that babies at her age will eat when they are hungry, do not force. If she eats a cheese stick and three crackers then that's great. Right now they are exploring new foods and being an independent eater. Worry about what the child eats in a year or two. If you want to make sure the child gets enough nutrition, I give my daughter a chewable vitamin everyday. I give it after she eats as a 'treat' because it encourages her to eat a little more.

Shannon3390

Answer by Shannon3390 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Yes! My 16 month old is a Picky Petunia too! I try to make sure what she DOES eat is healthy and provides healthy fats (she's underweight). I don't make too big of a deal about it, because I'm just happy she eats. A lot of kids her age go thru picky phases.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 10:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Yes, I have a 2yr old that is very picky. Her twin brother is not. She only likes pasta. Spaghetti, macaroni, etc. i also talked to the Ped. because she is like 10 lbs under her twin. She said as long as she eats something not to worry. So I keep little dishes of the quick mac n cheese and raviolis. She also drinks alot of milk. My suggestion to you is to see if she like ensure or carnation breakfast and give her one of those a day. That will give her nutrition she might be lacking. this will pass. There is also a nutritional drink for kids now. So check that out.
    jacrain

Answer by jacrain at 11:15 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• When my son goes through these phases, I sub out one of his milk cups with gerber graduates smart sips for a day until his eating habits improve.
    I would say to OFFER alternative foods, but not force them. Try new recipes..or sometimes it is even as simple as how the food is prepared. For example, my son went through a stage where he only wanted food shaped like a stick/french fry. Now it is only bite size peices.
    Most importantly, make sure that what she IS eating, is not empty calories but healthy food.
    here are some of my sons new favorites:
    tuna melts (hide green onions and green peppers in the tuna)
    black beans, corn, and chicken in a little bit of taco seasoning
    turkey burgers (hide shredded carrots in them) with ketchup (no bun or anything)
    sweet potato baked fries
    toaster waffles (instead of toast)
    whole grain english muffin pizzas (melted moz. cheese and veggies to shape a face)
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 2:25 AM on Nov. 19, 2009