black friday traditions/advice

Dh and I are going to go out Black Friday for the first time. We are thinking of going to walmart and best buy and toys r us. Any advice or fun traditions you do? I want it to be fun and "so what" if we dont get the gift we really want( a tv)

is it really as crazy as everyone says? and what time is best to ge to the stores?

lovinmyhubby

Asked by lovinmyhubby at 10:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Shopping

Level 1 (-25 Credits)
  • No it's not as crazy at everyone says. If you want something at best buy i suggest camping out like 2 days before because they usually only get a hand full of advertised items. As far as traditions go i really like to go by myself and usually i get hot chocolate and a good book for the line.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• On Thursday my family has always pored over the ads and then made lists of what we wanted from what stores. We split up the lists, so everyone only goes to one store (although sometimes we send 2 people to the same store) and buys what everyone else wants/needs from that store. Usually now we search the ads beforehand via the internet and come to Thanksgiving dinner armed with our lists. I've found that I do better if I'm not there when the store opens, but come like an hour later I do better - I hate crowds!

Answer by missanc at 9:35 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I agree with missanc. Search the ads and make a list of items from each store, that way you're not "wasting time" traveling store to store. People stand in line for 2-4 hrs; I find it ridiculous. You can show up even 15 min after the store opens with no line waiting, and the store will usually still have the items you want. I tend to hit the stores that have the high sell out items first (Walmart, Target, etc), then to stores that fewer people hit (Lowes, JCP, etc).

Also, take a snack/drink with you. You'd be amazed at how quickly the day goes, and you forget to eat if you don't have anything with you.

But if you guys are just doing it for the fun and experience, I'd stand in line. I think in most places, the crowds aren't as out of control as the media portrays. You get to talk to a lot of people standing in line, and excitement breeds excitement!
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 9:57 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• The only place I've ever heard of being a problem with the crowds is WalMart, around here at least. I always go to the BX first, since we live on a military base, adn that is like 4 AM. Then I go to Kmart and Target and get the items I want from them. Depending on what other stores have items I want, I may go to Best Buy or Toys R Us too. I always make a full day of it because they run the specials all day. The big ticket items are normally sold out already unless you're there HOURS before they open, but I'm never there for those items anyway.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:50 PM on Nov. 19, 2009