breastfeeding doubts , and products to increase mild production !

what things did you use ?

what did you buy to increase your milk production ?

i have tried the oatmeal , pumping more , and also fenugreek , which does work !

did it work for you ?

im breastfeeding my baby , but i want to hear more options .

i've got the depo shot done , and my doctor tol me taht taht cwould increase my breastmilk by 30 % , but i read earlier that someone's doctor told them da it decreases it !

what is /was your method ?

happymom1988

Asked by happymom1988 at 11:34 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Why do you think you need to increase your supply?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• because when i fell my breasts , theyre not always full or seem to have enough , and i want to be able to feed my babyson up until he feels full and not have to bottlefeed him after i breastfed him . also cuz a lot of times my breast seems and looks desinflated ,empty , and my son , instead of beingfed , he just sucks on an empty breast :(
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 11:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• If you are bottle feeding at all you are decreasing your milk supply. The best way to increase your milk supply is by nursing your baby. I doubt your breasts are empty. In the beginning your breasts were engorged now they are normal. Just nurse your son as often as possible and stop any supplemental feedings (juice, water, formula) even breastmilk if you think your milk supply is low. If you're going by how much you pump, don't. I could never pump more than 2 oz at a time and my babies got plenty of milk.
    How many wet diapers does your son have a day? How old is he?
    Anonymous

• my baby will be 3 months this week ! i nurse him as many times as he wants during the day , but i still feel like he empties them cuz he can breastfeed for like an hr lol
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 12:02 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• yes bottle feeding will only make it worse if you want to bf exclusively. Your baby sucking on it while it is empty tells your breasts to make more. And make sure you are drinking lots of water. After a while your breasts become quite adjusted to the rhythm and don't need to be so plump too. You will have to face it sooner or later that your boobs wont be as plump as they were prebaby. I tried Fenugreek too. I didn't care to much about feeding exclusively after 4 months. then I did both, weined him at 10 months.
    Tickledtrauma

Answer by Tickledtrauma at 12:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• "because when i fell my breasts , theyre not always full or seem to have enough"

They're not SUPPOSED to feel full. You've regulated. Your breasts make milk ON DEMAND...they don't store.

You don't have to bottlefeed him...he's FINE. Put him to breast and leave him there as long as he wants. You're never truly empty. If you're changing 6-8 dipes per day your supply is FINE. NOTHING will make your breasts feel full...they're not supposed to.

Please drop by the breastfeeding moms group; you'll learn what you're supposed to be looking for. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 1:21 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• "my baby will be 3 months this week ! i nurse him as many times as he wants during the day , but i still feel like he empties them cuz he can breastfeed for like an hr lol"

Normal. Go with it!

Answer by gdiamante at 1:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Pumping and feeding more is the best thing but you can try mothers milk tea, which isn't that bad once you get used to it.. or if you put some creamer in it.. and you can get a prescription for reglan that helps too...
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 1:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• when i got my iud it really decreased my milk supply... and its normal for him to be breast feeding for close to a hour, he's getting everything he needs but some babies just like to suck so unless he cries when you pull him away you might be able to get away with less time
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:02 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Sonds normal. But the depo shot... I have heard it CAN decrease your supply, never increase. If you've had no issues until now, I doubt it's the shot. But i'm concerned your doctor told you it could affect your supply by 30%. I have never heard that kind of statistic on depo, or anything for that matter.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:19 AM on Nov. 19, 2009