I've been told NOT to breastfeed, what formula is best/any alternatives?

So I've got the swine and I've been told by the pediatrician NOT to breastfeed my 3 month old daughter. I have searched for a substitute breastfeeder and the pickings are slim. I've been sick for a week now and am running out of the milk I had stored from the last few months of pumping. I am afraid of my milk production slowing since I cannot nurse (and am really feeling depressed about it) so I am currently pumping & dumping just to get relief and continue producing. So my question is, which formula should I give her in the mean time? I really don't want to give her formula but it is looking like we have no choice. What is the difference between Ready-to-feed formulas and powdered, what is best for her age, what is closest to breastmilk, and will she begin to prefer it over the breast? I'm just really not feeling good here and I feel guilty for not having enough milk stored for my baby girl. Any suggestions, I need help!

ChrissMiss321

Asked by ChrissMiss321 at 11:40 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i would say enfamil there is no difference one is alreay mixed and the other isnt and the price hope it helps and get better soon!!!!
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 11:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Similac is great!
    Anonymous

• this makes no sense what so ever. If you stop nursing , your baby will have less protection against the flu. Breastmilk has natural antiobotics to protect the baby from infection even if you are the one with the infection. So if you stop nursing , your baby still has the chance of catching it, but will not have the protection that breastmilk provides. Also by switching to formula will cause stress that will also lower the babies immune system. I know a doctor told you this but doctors do know everything. Trust what is right.
    Newbegginings04

Answer by Newbegginings04 at 11:44 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I wasn't able to BF and we used Similac till ds was 20 months old, he never got as such as the sniffles till he was 2 years old!
    Anonymous

• The pediatrician has me terrified to even hug her, let alone nurse! I just want to cry, I feel horrible from being ill and now I feel even more guilty for not giving my daughter what I know she wants. I was thinking of giving her one bottle of Similac Iron Fortified formula daily just to make the stored milk last a little while longer.
    ChrissMiss321

Answer by ChrissMiss321 at 11:55 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• I agree with newbeginnings. When DS was born I had 2 take meds so I pumped n dumped 4 a week cuz dr said I couldn't nurse. NICU was puzzled, totally disagreed, called pharmacy to confirm. Turns out I dumped all the good colostrom (sp?) Cuz of what dr said. Call la leche league. Drs aren't the best 1's 2b giving advice on BF!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 11:56 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• Talk to a lactation consultant. Ped.s do not know more than a LC (normally). The best way to protect yoru baby is to nurse them. Drink plenty of water, eat oatmeal daily, do not take medicines unless homeopathic, get plenty of rest, eat chicken soup, up your vitamin D3 to 5,000 iu (at least) and take lost of ascorbic acid (vit C). You can also eat raw garlic-good anti-vital, drink tea with honey and lemon... many things you can do to get yoruself well and not harm baby.
    Plus everthing you take yoru baby will get and these are all beneficial to baby too.
    Loa1002

Answer by Loa1002 at 12:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I hate the CDC but they do say this....

Should I stop breastfeeding my baby if I think I have come in contact with the flu?

No. Because mothers make antibodies to fight diseases they come in contact with, their milk is custom-made to fight the diseases their babies are exposed to as well. This is really important in young babies when their immune system is still developing
    Loa1002

• i totally agree with some of these responses. GET ANOTHER OPINION. you should be BF anyway. You have antibodies in your brestmilk to help fight off these things. Keep feeding your baby pllleeease! haha call a la leche league. They will tell you what's best. Pediatricians arent a good source for this type of subject. They suck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• You have to trust your instincts. A doctor told me when I was pregnant with my son who is now 6 years old to abort the baby because I needed to have a biopsy for cervical cancer. He said if I carried my baby to term I would risk having full blown cancer. I walked out of that office and NEVER came back!! I never had cancer, there was no reason for him to tell me this. Thank god I trusted my instincts.
    Newbegginings04

Answer by Newbegginings04 at 12:13 AM on Nov. 19, 2009