whats a good pet?

i would like to get a new pet. i have a one year old son. i would like something that stays in a cage but i could let out to play. any body have any ideas would like something that isnt to kid skittish or atleast wouldnt mind being pet by him with my supervision of course

djsmommy13

Asked by djsmommy13 at 11:42 PM on Nov. 18, 2009 in Pets

• My 18 month old son really enjoys his teddy bear hamster. He loves watching him run o his wheel. If you want to avoid bedding on the floor keep the hammi in a ten gallon aquarium.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 11:45 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• anything that stays in a cage and looks like a rat stinks and takes alot to keep clean i would saya bird they live along time though i have had mine for 10 yrs my son loves her or a rabbit we have one of those 2 and they dont stink hope this helps
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 11:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• A zhu zhu pet! Don't get a dog, he will bite your kid, don't get a cat, he will scratch your kid! Don't get a hamster your kid will kill it. Get a zhu zhu pet. Your kiddo won't be a be able to tell the difference between a a fake hamster and a real one. LOL........OR get a Furreal Friends cat, may I suggest LULU the cat!
    Anonymous

• oh and i forgot to say i have 2 parakeets he loves them but gets a lil excited around them
    djsmommy13

Answer by djsmommy13 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• A hamster cage only stinks if you don't keep it clean enough. If you scoop out the "potty corner" daily and change all the bedding weekly you will be fine.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 11:49 PM on Nov. 18, 2009

• i have a dog...of course its a pet that you would have out of a cage way more than a hamster or something or maybe you wouldnt cage a dog at all (we dont). but my dog loves my son and my son loves the dog. he is a jug, jackrussel-pug mix. and seriously, the most kid-friendly dog i have ever seen. from the time we brought our son home from the hospital, we never hesitated leaving the 2 alone in the same room together. beast was 11 months old then. now brody puts the leash on him and walks him around the house, feeds him, gives him water, and even tries to ride him. beast has never made one attempt to hurt our son. i could go on all day listings reasons i would think the dog would want to bite him, but he is extremely tolerant.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 12:07 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Not for a cage really but I have two dogs and one is a mini doxie he is very small..lots of personality..clean..and doesnt shed (hes short-haired)..very affectionate..they are great as long as you do not leave them alone for very long periods of time..they tend to miss their owners very much..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 12:29 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i would love a dog but dont have the money for a pet deposit right now
    djsmommy13

Answer by djsmommy13 at 1:45 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Bird cages need to be regularly cleaned, too. They stink just as bad if they aren't. Anything you get will have to be cleaned up after. Either save up so you can get a kitten or a puppy, or just get something like a hamster.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:27 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We have guinea pigs- they are very sweet. We have two girls, they have a cage but we also let them out to run around and snuggle with. They like to be petted and will sit very nicely in the kids' laps (with supervision, of course!) They are social animals so it's better to have two than one. They also need to be cleaned out weekly (at least- I spot clean the cage mid-week and clean the cage fully each weekend) and have some nutritional needs (good quality guinea pig pellet supplemented by fresh fruits/veggies and timothy hay.) But they're just part of my routine and I consider them well worth the effort that we put in.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:37 AM on Nov. 19, 2009