Has your child had the flu , seasonal or swine?

I am wanting to know what the symptoms are of children who have actually had it. Is there always a fever? What is different if it is swine flu? Is there vomiting?

Newbegginings04

Asked by Newbegginings04 at 12:16 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Swine flu lasts for AT LEAST 7 days. but they aren't testing for it any more so there's no telling, really.

We all had the regular flu. DS2 caught it from my IL's. He was fine. no fever. just seemed like a cold. DS1 caught it and he had a fever. he was very tired. really bad headaches and body aches. lost appetite. no throwing up though. and i think i caught it too but very mild. bad headaches and fatigue.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:21 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• thanx, My little 5 year old has been throwing up all night, there is no fever but some congestion. Last week she had a temp of 102. Then she was fine by monday. So I am up and worried about her.
    Newbegginings04

Answer by Newbegginings04 at 12:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• my daughters just had a regular cold....i did hear tho that if you throw up more than 10 times within 24hrs you should go to the emergency..but..in my opinion thats just a given..lol..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:03 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• benadrul helps with the vommiting, keep her off milk
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 1:04 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• "The symptoms of 2009 H1N1 flu virus in people include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea. People may be infected with the flu, including 2009 H1N1 and have respiratory symptoms without a fever."

http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1flu/qa.htm

My whole family just got over something with a fever, cough, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. I called toe Doc b/c the kids had a fever for more then 3 days. Doc said it was most likely H1N1 - but we didn't need to be seen unless one of use or the kids were in respiratory distress, and that the Flu is the Flu, just keep treating the symptoms. The hub's and I were much sicker then the kids, but we were only "down and out" for about a day, feeling crummy for about a week.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:42 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Wel also had something that lasted 3 days it was the flu just not sure what kind.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:00 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Yes, my kids all had it. They had extremely high fevers, one vomited, all were dehydrated, all had stomach aches and HORRIBLE HEADACHES, all had muscle aches, all had eye problems (with light and gunkiness) all of them had skin rashes after wards. All of them were fatigued for weeks following.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• All of my girls had it.. I have no clue if it was Swine flu or reg seasonal flu because they never tested them.. They ALL had fevers reaching 104, sore throat, sneezing, runny nose, horrid cough, headache really bad,  and just feeling horrid for about 4-5 days.. I'm leaning more towards the flu because they get colds all the time and they are NEVER that sick w/ a cold..  Also my 7 yr old had some nausea and I don't know if it was because of post nasal drip or if it was a sign of the H1N1 crap.. There is no way in telling though because they refuse to test anyone anymore.. =(   All you can do is stock up on Tylenol and Motrin and keep them hydrated. My 7 and 21 month old had minor complications from it afterward though, my 21 month old had an ear infection and my 7 yr old came down w/ an upper respiratory infection shortly after it.. It's really no worse than reg flu IMO...

3greatkids751

Answer by 3greatkids751 at 8:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• The symptoms for H1N1 are the same as those for the seasonal flu, people. The only difference is the virus causing the illness!!

Is there always a fever? No.
    Does H1N1 always last at least 7 days? No. It does, however, tend to last at least that long.
    Is either virus more contagious than the other? No.
    Is either virus killing more people than the other? No.
    Does the flu always involve vomiting and/or diarrhea? NO
    Are they NOT testing for swine flu? Yes, they are but not as often any more.

Are a vast majority of people over reacting? YES.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• http://www.cdc.gov/H1N1flu/qa.htm

"The symptoms of 2009 H1N1 flu virus in people include fever, cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea. People may be infected with the flu, including 2009 H1N1 and have respiratory symptoms without a fever."

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Nov. 19, 2009