Macrobid While Pregnant?

I was recently diagnosed with a UTI and they have Prescribed Macrobid (an antibiotic) and I have read that this causes birth defects in studies they have done and I have not taken it yet .I was wondering if I should get a different type of antibiotic or if I should go ahead and use this .I really dont trust it but dont know what to do.I wonder if Amoxicillin would be safe to take?

Kelly_Motherof2

Asked by Kelly_Motherof2 at 12:20 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2009/11/some_antibiotics_linked_to_bir.html

Until there were more studies, I would request a different prescription. Keflex is in the cephalosporin family of antibiotics and doesn't seem the have the risk. You can also try cranberry pills and garlic cloves for the infection, if you're worried about all antibiotics. I would also get some probiotics or eat a ton of yogurt as soon as you finish the abx round - it will help avoid the yeast infection that abx can cause.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 1:02 AM on Nov. 19, 2009