Anti-depressants

What anti-depressants have you taken? I was on zoloft and didnt like it. Hot flashes as if I were going through menopause, still almost crying all the time, yelling more than normal, all post-partem weight lose stopped, kept falling a sleep sitting up, but couldnt sleep at night, and had no thoughts of sex. Im going to the doc tomorrow and would like to try something else. What have you used with positive side effects?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Health

• I've never been on anti-depressants, but a good friend of mine is on Cymbalta (for about 2 years). She's doing really well, but has gained quite a bit of weight. I believe most pills have some negative side effects.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I was prescribed Prozac for postpartum depression. I had all the same side effects that you have described but after a month or so they began to wear off and I leveled out. You have to push through that initial period of time to allow the meds to take full effect.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 2:10 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I've been on Paxil, Prozac, Effexor. I have not been on anything since 2003. Coming off those meds was worse than any depression symptom I ever had. My sex drive was gone, I gained weight, I had muscle knots my neck. Taking them is based on your actual need for them I suppose.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• An internist should not be prescribing anti-depressants unless they have been recommended by your therapist. Taking these meds without therapy is like taking painkillers for a broken leg without getting a cast.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I'm on celexa.

its a nice mild antidepressant. I've been on and off it for a few years now. I never had any side effects and it helped immensely.

it was also not addictive - easy to get off of when I was ready.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 8:46 PM on Nov. 19, 2009