how much is too much (sleep question)

My baby is a week old
he sleeps all of the time
Its like he just wants to wake up to be nursed, burped, look around for a couple minutes and then off to sleep again

should I be concerned at all? This just seems like so much. and he only sleeps this much when its just me home, when my fiance is home he stays up a lot longer

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 2:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You a lucky momma that your baby sleeps a lot, there is no such thing as too much sleep for babies let him sleep, babies grow in there sleep, by the way CONGRATS momma on your baby!!! :)
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 2:42 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Let the boy sleep! Consider yourself lucky. In a few more weeks he will stay awake little longer, but babies this young have only three jobs: eat, sleep, and poop. There is nothing to be concerned about and if your pedi says "wake him up to feed" say "thank you" and then ignore that advice. Your baby will wake up when he's good and hungry.

In regards to staying up longer with your fiance, that's normal. My son would fight sleep if there was anything remotely stimulating going on around him.
    jacobsmom707

Answer by jacobsmom707 at 2:05 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• If the meconium is passed and you're changing plenty of dipes, then enjoy this while it lasts.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:46 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• same deal here mine is two weeks. enjoy the sleep get as much as you can.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:05 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• If you are breastfeeding then you need to wake him at least every 3 hours to feed until you establish a good milk supply. But at 1 week, they sleep a lot.

Answer by missanc at 9:28 AM on Nov. 19, 2009