Sick 15 mo old...again. I'm at a loss...

Last year, about this time, if felt like my son was always sick. He had a cough, or a fever, or an ear infection, etc etc. Then, we found mold. Removed the mold, it seemed like all his symptoms dissappeared. Then, mold-free, he continued to get sick. He was sick on Halloween, after Thanksgiving, during New Years, into the Spring. This past summer, we missed the pool ten times or more because he had an ear infection, a fever, diarrhea, the list goes on. In September I put him in daycare, and he hasn't been healthy since. First a cold, then an ear infection, then vomiting, then another cold, then swine flu, then a cough, and then an ear infection (even out of daycare- he's no longer there) Today, his fever was 102.3 and seemed to be climbing, with Tylenol and Motrin, when I tucked him in for bed.
(Continued below in first answer...)

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 2:27 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Kids' Health

• We can't keep doing this. I have been trying to get over to my friend's to see her newborn since August, but I can't go there when my son may be contagious. Forget playdates. They always fall through. I missed my mom's surgery and chemo because it would have compromised her immune system to be there. We've missed both Halloweens and almost missed his birthday. I still have the pink eye he passed along to me. Every time we go to the doctor's, we're there every week for three weeks because whatever it is just persists. I have been to the doctors 8 times in the last 6 weeks. I have been to Rite Aid even more than that.

Has anyone ever experienced this many illnesses? I KNOW that kids get sick a lot- its par for the course. But, this is extreme, even by "mom standards." He's only 15 months old and he has more medicine in that cabinet than I do, which says a lot. Has anyone had a child this sick? What do I do???
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 2:33 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We dont have this problem but I know some families that the child just is always sick. Some kids just ahve a better immune systen then others. I hoe someone has some advise.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 2:37 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I have heard that if you have the bad mold or black mold that you can't remove it completely. So if you are living in the same place, I'd look into that. Is it possible he's allergic to something? Try getting him allergy tests. Something is compromising his immune system and I would be seeing a doctor to find out why. I would also take him to a holistic doctor...they may offer help. GL girl...what ever you do, do not rest until you find the answer!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Have him RAST tested for food allergies. There could be something that he is sensitive to that is wearing his immune system down.

I was always a sick child. I had ear infections & the flu several times every year. But now, I don't get the flu. Haven't had it since I was 10.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 8:44 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My first thought would be allergies. Mine had many, many ear infections and we got tubes at 2. She's been pretty good since then, just one sinus infection. The pedi had her on allegra which didn't do much. She also had her adenoids removed when she had the tubes done. That was supposed to help with the allergies too. Ask the pedi what they think or if a speciallist should see him. Allegies would explain the infections and it can cause swelling in the sinus cavaties and fluid build up. But vomiting and diahrrea? Maybe just a weak immune system from already being sick?

There are vitamins and suppliments as well as healthy foods that can help boost the immune system. Have you looked into these?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:52 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• It does seem like he's sick more than the average child. I would have your pediatrcian look into it further... maybe something else is going on.... the pp's suggested, maybe allergies, maybe he's got an underlying immune system problem.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• "But vomiting and diahrrea? Maybe just a weak immune system from already being sick? "

Allergies or a food intolerance CAN cause vomiting & diarrhea. If his immune system is busy fighting an allergen, it would leave him weakened and more susceptible to other bacteria & viruses.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 11:10 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• Have you taken him to an ENT to see about the ear infections? My DD had to have tubes put in her ears because she was getting frequent ear infections. The tubes that naturally drain the fluid out of the ear were underdeveloped.
    Ear infections cause fever, runny nose, and a cough due to stuff draining down their throat. Antibiotics cause diarrhea.
    Jadegirl1819

Answer by Jadegirl1819 at 7:52 PM on Nov. 20, 2009