Asking for a friend.....would you let your 10 yr old read the Twilight books?

Need another opinion. since I despise the books, I cannot give her an unbiased opinion. I gave her my reasons, she just wants others thoughts on it. She has not read the books either.

Asked by Kaelansmom at 3:06 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• It depends on what kind of girls she is. Is she an avid reader or does she just want to read it because everyone else is? Then again it's very big with the tweens. I say go ahead and let her there's nothing too terrible in the first two which are the only ones i've read so far. however i've heard it does get a little nuttier in last book. Just make sure that she talks to her and her daughter doesn't get too scared.

Answer by mrsjonzy at 3:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Def depends on the child.

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:25 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I definitely dont see the harm in her tween reading the book. Maybe if she is that worried she should read with her or ahead of her before she gives the final go ahead. I would let my daughter read it if she was 10. It would give me the opportunity to talk to my daughter about relationships and sex with out hesitation and using the decisions that Edward made to wait until marriage and what not. Talking it out with her by using such a popular book would make it easier for her daughter to open up about questions and for future confidence that she can go to her mother when the time comes that she starts her menstrual cycle.

Answer by Anonymous at 3:33 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I personally would not allow my children. My now 9 year old daughter has asked and I've informed her that I don't wish for her to read the series until she's at least 13 years old since a lot of the book is surrounded around seduction, romance, and sexual desire. The books are more intense than the movies and as most books gives more details, so although you do not have explicit sex it is talked about and insinuated, hence her having a baby.

Now my daughter has been reading pre-teen books since she was 7 years old, but they are series we approve of such as Angie Sages Septimus Heap series, JK rowlings Harry Potter's series and Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series.

Answer by Knightquester at 3:34 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• The books have enough sexual content that I probably wouldn't let a 10 year old read them....but a 13 year-old, yeah, that'd be okay. The movie had very little sexual content...I don't know about New Moon, but she could see the movie instead.

Answer by char944 at 8:08 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I was told by my son's 5th grade teacher that he should read them but to stop at the 4 th book. But my son is an advanced reader. He started reading Harry potter when he was 6. I figured I'd read the books first and see what I thought of them before I let him read them.

Personally I think every parent knows their child best and if they read the books and think their kid will be okay with it then let them read them.

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:12 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• YES. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:25 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Let them read it its a really good book. if they r still young and cant readdont give it to him. he or she will tear it other words brake the book!!!

Answer by lindsay01 at 8:37 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I haven't read the last book, but the others were ok. It really all depends on the child and her maturity level. My 11 &10 yr olds have read all but the last book; when something comes up that they want to discuss, I discuss it with them. I know they've read far more violent - Lord of the Rings. And there have been a few dragon books. So, Twilight, not a big deal in this house.

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My 10 year old has started reading twilight, but she's only a few chapters in and she gets distracted easily lol. She's seen the movie, so not to much of a leap for her to read the book

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:41 AM on Nov. 19, 2009