chinchillas?

do u think that they would be a good apartment pet? i do have a 14 month old. do u think that he would be fine around one?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Pets

• thier very testy, i had two in my vet. class in highschool. thier easy to take care of they just have kinda of a temper. and they are very hard to catch when it comes time to take tehm out to clean the cage! lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:00 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• hmmm i would be scared of it biting
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 4:29 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• they don't bite
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 7:00 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I had one as a teen. They're like rabbits. The only thing I had a problem with is mine was given to me from a previous owner and I don't think he was held a-lot, so he was kind of nervous. They are nocturnal animals, so they're up at a-lot at night and they like to chew electrical cords (like rabbits).
    MissMorgan07

Answer by MissMorgan07 at 7:49 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• the animal would be fine. the stinky cage you might find yourself not fine with. like rabbits, they need to be cleaned out at least every other day, the urine they produce is horrific. almost like male cats and leaves a thick white residue sometimes that cannot be washed off. the residue literally has to be scraped off.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:14 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Chinchillas are expensive. I'd go with a couple of guinea pigs. You don't have to clean out their cage as often.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:23 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Chinnies are not recommended for children. They do not like to be handled and are prone to respiratory issues. They should be kept in an environment that reaches no more than 74 degrees year round for a healthy little guy. Chinnies throw their fur if they become stressed and a small kiddo will definitely add stress to a Chinchilla's life.
    Chinnnies do bite, but rarely. Trust me... I've been bitten by plenty of them when they didn't want to be handled.
    Upkeep is standard...clean the cage, fresh fruits and veggies in their diet, clean water and lots of exercise! Oh, and they jump high as well so they can be easy to lose.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 3:11 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Chinchillas can be awesome, I used to own 5 and bred them a couple times, they can be absolute sweethearts if handled enough, especially if you get a baby one. They don't smell nearly as bad as rabbits. A weekly cage cleaning was enough for my chillas. They shouldn't be handled by that young of a child though because they can easily be squeezed too hard, or may jump from the child and hurt themselves, however if you only take the chin out when the child is in bed or exercise him in a seperate room he will be fine. Make sure the cage is also out of reach. Chins do poo a lot however and may pee on walls, especially females who are more likely to spray then males. I had to keep vaccumming around the cages to keep all the poo cleaned up, so preferably the chin would be away from the child so no poo would be eaten. Chins are also expensive to buy, and they need big cages, their food can be expensive depending on where you live.(con
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 11:34 PM on Dec. 23, 2009

• I had to pay $10 per 5 lb bag when that became all that was available in my area, though if you get ahold of certain people online or some companies you can order it online a lot cheaper. They should come from a breeder so you are more likely to get a healthy one, there are genetic problems that can be life threatening. They also have sensitive digestive systems, only hay, pellets and water, occasionally a raisin or rose hip. So if you can afford their cage, them, possibly high vet bills if anything happens, and have the room as well as a way to keep them from your child then ok, but otherwise as great as pets they are they aren't for small children or someone who doesn't have a big budget. I loved my chinchillas, my Tinsle was beautiful and so sweet and affectionate, I miss him so much, he died of heatstroke (much watch your heat). I can give you loads of info and places for research if you'd like.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 11:39 PM on Dec. 23, 2009