What does an ulcer feel like?

....and how is it diagnosed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Health

• My stomach was in constant pain. I had burning sensations in my throat. It was just awful. To get diagnosed with it I have a special test done. You can either drink a fizzy liquid (meant to expand your stomach) and just one glass or barium or 3 glasses of barium (that's how much it takes to fill your stomach) and then they take like x-rays of your stomach (machine pushes on your stomach and then takes pictures). Kinda uncomfortable but manageable. I had it done at like 15 and didn't mind it too much.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I had one in "91. for me it was extreme fatigue and paleness. I never really had any pain, I did have some indigestion and lack of appetite and after a week of it, my employer who was a Dr. made me get on the exam table. I think I had about an 8 wk course of aggressive meds, and then a one year course of a daily maintenance drug.
    knocked out the smoking, caffeine and drinking-and it never came back.
    my diagnosis was just from exam and history, but you can have various other tests like an EGD or barium swallow with UGI. You may also have to have a rectal exam to test for GI bleeding.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:07 AM on Nov. 19, 2009