Sewing

I am sewing a jumper for myl ittle girl I am new at this and don't understand the dinosaur I have for a sewing machine lol my husband has had it since 7th grae and now is in his thirties lol. Ok so I am needing to sew the bodice and skirt part together where they will meet in the middle and the directions are telling me to gather the skirt, idk how to do that I was told at the material store that I could skip this step but the skirt girth is bigger then the bodice girth how do I skip the gathering step?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 5:24 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• You can gather by hand using a needle and thread and simpling stitching in and out (will look like this: - - - - - - - ). Before you start make sure the thread you use is long enough to go all the way around and tie a knot at the end to keep it from slipping. When you get all the way around pull the thread until the fabric is gathered to the size you need and tie the loose end to the knotted end. Use your fingers to even out the gathers before you pin it to the other piece to sew it togther.
    Anonymous

• I do not have a handneedle s I might be able to do this by pinning it I am tring it now than you for your answer :) God bless you and yours
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 5:48 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• If you can adjust the stitch length, you can use long stitches with less tension. Leave ample top and bobbin thread before and after you sew around the edge of the skirt. You can then pull the fabric and adjust gathers to fit bodice, pinning as you go. I would start from the front-center of the bodice, matching pattern markings to insure even distribution of fabric around the jumper.
    amazingmayzie

Answer by amazingmayzie at 6:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2009