sewing

I am sewing a jumper for myl ittle girl I am new at this and don't understand the dinosaur I have for a sewing machine lol my husband has had it since 7th grae and now is in his thirties lol. Ok so I am needing to sew the bodice and skirt part together where they will meet in the middle and the directions are telling me to gather the skirt, idk how to do that I was told at the material store that I could skip this step but the skirt girth is bigger then the bodice girth how do I skip the gathering step?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 5:29 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I wouldn't. Gathering is not that hard. YOu can do it one of two ways with the machine or by hand. By hand you run two lines, one 1/4" away from the seam allowance the other 1/4" (about) from the first. A running basteing stitch. Leave long ends. Tie one set of ends together. then gentlely pull the other ends and ease the fabric. Or on the machine use your longest stitch. That is the basting stitch. and do the same thing. One important note. After you get your basteing stiches in oin the skirt to the top at the marks. So you get an even amount of fabric around the skirt. Wish I could show you. Let me see if I can find a video link.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:10 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Here's what i found.  http://www.metacafe.com/watch/yt-4jlXqkwaqTM/how_to_gather_a_basic_sewing_tutorial/    this is a site that I love and can help with other things. http://www.sewing.org/html/guidelines.html

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 6:17 AM on Nov. 19, 2009