What does your teenager want for christmas this year?

My son(17) wants an xbox 360. It has to have a hard drive, chargers for the paddles, xbox live, not to mention the games! Thats $450 minimum!

My step-daughter wants an Ipod touch, a new cell phone (one that slides and flips has touch screen...) and a car. Not just any car, an off the lot kind of car!

Why do these kids think we have thousands of dollars to spend? I remember asking for a new pair of jeans and a book when I was their age. I would love to get these things for them but Its not gonna happen. They seem to think money magically appears.

Did I happen to mention my 7 year old wants an electric guitar and my 12 year old wants a laptop computer? Ugh!

formykids373

Asked by formykids373 at 5:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Holidays

• I feel that the laptop and car is def too extreme. Those are more highschool/college grad gifts. The car is def not soemthing you ask for as a christmas gift. lol When I knew that Santa wasnt real I asked for very little. My parents had the money to buy nice things but I tried to be as practical as I could. Like new clothes, games, hair supplies etc. Id talk to them about it and let them know that thats not what its all about. Have them volenteer and get a feel for how bad others have it.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:06 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• wow I got off lucky..lol.
    my 13 yo wants that used dunebuggy at the Pawn shop we drive by everyday, some video games and a a bunch of little stuff.

my 16 wants seasons 1 and 2 of Desperate Housewives, makeup, some shoes, and clothes.

my 3 yo wants everyting : )
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:42 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• You cna get an electric guitar for $100 at Toys R Us. The laptop. Walmart has on BLack Friday for $300.(hp too).I know what you mean money doesn't grow on trees and I have already told my kids they will get a job and pay for at least half of thier car.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 8:10 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• we have decided that when our son wants a car (he is only 5 now) but when the time comes that we will match him dollar for dollar. If he can save 1000 dollars we will give a 1000 dollars...but he is going to have to keep up with oil and all, gas, and insurence...so he's gonna need a job. I think a kid would appreciate a car and having their license more knowing that they've worked hard for it
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:28 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Even if I do get them what they want its way above my christmas budget...
    Laptop $300
    Guitar $100
    XBOX $450
    Ipod Touch $200
    That all equals $1050 which is more then I make in 3 weeks and almost a mortgage payment.
    Not to mention it would be all they get. No stocking, No presents from Santa, No nothing.
    If I dont buy them what they want I get the worst parent of the year award from them and their friends. I didnt raise my kids like this, what happened? No more coloring books and tonka trucks here lol.
    formykids373

Answer by formykids373 at 8:29 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• would they not like the xbox as a family gift?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:29 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i think you should give them each a set amount of money and tell them thats all you can spend for christmas and they can do what they want with it...i would be happy. They could save it if they chose to, to get that big gift or they can get something else...it would be their money so i'm sure they would be thrifty with it
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:32 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• when i was a pre teen and teen i loved money...you could do that and maybe get them some smaller stocking stuffers on the side that way it still feels like christmas
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:33 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• if they don't appreciate what you give them let them do some charity work taking some food over to a homeless shelter...or plan a day during the holidays to do something fun at the childrens shelter...that way they can see that Christmas isnt about money. They will see how much people appreciate the smallest gesture and maybe they will see that they are asking for an awful lot
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:40 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• my son bought his own xbox with his own money and i was so glad for it.
    he also bought his own phone but i pay the bill.
    he also bought his own ipod(s)
    his guitar collection was all given to him except for the very first one I paid $59 for.
    So this year, I'm getting him a Gibson SG, he deserves it and it will be a good investment for him.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 8:50 AM on Nov. 19, 2009