3yo nightmare

My dd is driving me crazy. She will not sleep alone or through the night anymore. Shell be 3 next month and its getting rediculous. She whines all night and if I get up early to have coffee and enjoy some alone time shell sense Im not there and get up. Shell just scream and cry because shes cranky from being up so early. Im talking 530 am when she used to sleep till at least 8 or 9. She is in bed around 9 and still naps during the day. She eats well and is healthy otherwise. Any tricks I can use to handle this without going crazy in the process? lol And I know its now attention because Im with her 4 days a week all day. She gets tons of attention. Maybe too much??

Steph319

Asked by Steph319 at 6:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• not* attention
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:02 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• my 3 yo is the same way. My husband says he hasn't gotten a full nights sleep since she was born. At first she'd get up to turn her light on and go to sleep. So we put in a touch lamp and adjust the brightness. Didn t work. Some nights she's fine, others she either fusses in the bed until we get up or let her sleep with us. I wish I had advice but if you find something that works please let me know.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:46 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• No advice but my 3yo has been pulling the same kind of crap for months. She started complaining of "bad dreams" over the summer, waking in the night and wanting to sleep on the couch with my husband. He thought it was cute so he let her. BIG MISTAKE! His job changed and although he still gets up around the same time (4:30am) he now has a 2 hour commute so he's not in the best mood in the morning any more and he doesn't like her hogging the couch.
    So instead she would scream in her bed. She would wake up sometimes 4-5 times a night screaming. When she finally figured out Daddy wasn't going to give in and let her sleep with him she started saying she was "afraid of the dark". My kids have never had nightlights and have always slept with their lights off and door closed. For the last 3 or 4 weeks she has slept with her light on. If you turn it off in the night she gets up and turns it back on or screams.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:16 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• my 3 year old did the same thing for a whole year and she has two homes most of the week she is with me but sometimes she sleeps at her father's house and she cried since she was 2 1/2 but i kept the same routine. Bath at 7 bed by 8 and she never slept in my bed. I did leave her door opened and left the light on in the hallway but if she cried I would close the door to her room until she finnally realized she was not going to win and she would have to learn to sleep alone in her room with the dolls of her choice. It took so much strength from me because I would cry at night and think maybe her room had ghots or other crazy stuff but if u just stick to one method it should work. I also adivce to let your child choose things for bedtime to give them a feeling of being in control. For example she whines when I tell her its bed time I simply take her to her bed give her a kiss and ask her what blanket she wants. Be stong moms
    Sammysm0mmy

Answer by Sammysm0mmy at 9:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2009