Should I switch my 18 month old son to a toddler bed or wait?

My son is 18 months old. Bedtime with him is awesome right now. I just give him his blanket and he lays down and cuddles with it and talks to himself for a few minutes then goes to sleep. He is still in a crib and my plan was to leave him in the crib until he tried to climb out, then do the switch. My husband thinks I'm crazy for thinking to put him in a toddler bed this soon. But I just feel that bedtime is really easy right now and the transition would probably be pretty smooth. My husband says why mess up a good thing.

Just a side note: My DD climbed out at 22 months and it was awful trying to get her to stay in her toddler bed. The poor kid slept on the floor for 2 weeks. She would scream every night at her door wanting to come out.

What are your experiences with making the switch from crib to bed?

pixiemom78

Asked by pixiemom78 at 7:11 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We never had in problems with any of our three, but we did not switch them nearly this early.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 7:19 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My children didn't go into a bed until they were 2 1/2 when their next sibling was born and needed the crib. I bypassed the toddler bed and put them straight into a twin bed with a side rail that I bought at a store that was removable once they were old enough to not roll out of bed.
    I am not sure of the emotional needs of an 18 month old child, if they feel more secure in a crib or not, but you can check out the pediatric sites that explain transitioning a toddler out of a crib. If you want, you can set up the toddler bed, if it is a separate unit, and let your son grow used to it in his room and let him take a daytime nap in it, if he wants.
    I wish I had a cut and dry answer for you, but I don't because with your child it would depend on his emotional needs for security.
    I wish you the best!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:28 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We switched DD 2-1/2 months before she turned 3 years old. She had no problems with sleeping in a crib and never did try to climb out. When we went to a toddler bed, she has done basically well...although sometimes we have to put a gate at her doorway to keep her in her room.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:40 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I put my DD in a toddler bed around 18 months. She was completely ready and we had NO problems with the transition. She is a little over 2 now and she still waits for me to come get her out of bed in the morning. We're expecting our 2nd baby in Feb and I didn't want her to feel like the baby took her crib. She was completely ready for a toddler bed though.
    MissMorgan07

Answer by MissMorgan07 at 7:44 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I'd wait, the crib has different level settingts you can change the height of his crib.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 8:11 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• If your 18 month old is happy in the crib and you don't need it for a new baby, let him stay in the crib for a while longer.

Both of my climbed out of their cribs around 18 months, so they slept on a crib mattress on the floor until I was comfortable with them not falling out of bed, then they moved to a regular bed. I would have liked them to stay in their cribs longer than they did.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:17 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I put my DD in a toddler bed last month (she was 18 months) because she's getting a baby sister any day now and I needed the crib. I didn't want her to feel ousted by the baby so I did it ahead of time. She does fine in her bed and actually quite likes it. She gets up in the morning and goes to get some books until I come and get her.

Naps are a bit trickier though. I have to sit in her room until she falls asleep or she'll get up. At night though, when she can't see and get up, she falls asleep on her own.
    moonlitfairy

Answer by moonlitfairy at 8:25 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We had the same rule of thumb, when my kids could climb out of their crib, then they went to a toddler bed. My son was nearly 3 before we needed one with him, but my daughter was closer to 18 months. Both my kids went to sleep on their own really young. My son never really had a problem in his toddler bed, my daughter however, SWEET JESUS that child was busy lol. She would get up in the middle of the night and get food, watch TV, you name it, she did it. I am a very sound sleeper, so I never knew. So we put a gate up at her door to keep her in her room. Well then she climbed over it, so then we had to put up 2 gates, one on top of the other. Was good times lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:37 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My son is two and still in a crib. he seems perfectly content in there. I probably wont try switching him until he trying to climb out or we have problems with him going into the crib. I would wait, maybe if you could try taking the side off the crib and see how he handles that, if he is not ready you will know. He seems confortable sleeping in his crib that why he has no problems going to bed.
    Mom2Joseph2007

Answer by Mom2Joseph2007 at 8:42 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My daughter was in a toddler bed for her 2nd birthday but I wish we would have let her in her crib longer. She never learned to fall back asleep on her own and when she wakes up throughout the night she is in our bed. So personally I wished we would have let her in a crib longer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Nov. 19, 2009