PLEASE DONT HATE ME!!!

Ok so i know that a lot of you might get really annoyed by this question but, I am doing a paper for my religious studies class and i need some NON religious reasons that average people are opposed to gay marriage...I know it sounds weird and again i know a lot of you will hate this question but, I have asked this on several different forums and i have not gotten a lot of responses that are NON religious. This is NOT meant to start a debate (even though it probably will) but, any help you could give me would be amazing so thanks in advance....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I get what you are asking. I personally dont have an issue with gay marriage but I know people who do. yeah its gonna be hard to have people respond without the religious aspect but what I think and have witnessed is primarily from men. It all goes back to homophobia...men are just grossed out! I have tried to explain to these types that ok just because a man is gay doesnt mean they are after ALL men, same for women. I have been approached before by women and was flattered, but some men on the other hand take this as a pass to freal out and beat someone. idk , just fear I guess, people are afraid and do not like change so if we start changing what consitutes a marriage? What changes next? hope oyu get some more answers, gl on paper :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 7:24 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• you know what i find funny? that soooooo many women come to cafemom to get opinions and help with their college papers!!! i guess pouring over books and articles in the library and online is passe?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Good luck with that.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:47 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I know a lot of people IRL who are opposed to gay marriage, but aren't very religious. They're opposed to it because they like the TRADITIONAL America--baseball, apple pies, and traditional family. They don't want to turn into Denmark, France, or Sweden. They don't want socialism, government mandated green-ism (you listening, California?), and they don't want men marrying other men. It's really not that difficult to understand. Not everyone opposes it because they are religious; they just don't want to change the nation entirely, which seems to be exactly what is happening as the radical left takes us further and further away from our roots.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Anon:31. It's called primary research, you're never going to learn anything just by reading others opinions and research.

There are some non-religious people who believe that gay marriage shouldn't be legalized because they consider marriage to be a religious institution. Usually they won't get married themselves because they don't believe in it. They believe it's up to individual churches to decide who they can marry. Does that count?

I've heard some religious and non-religious people say they don't approve because it would open the door to stuff like polygamy and marrying dogs and what not. Frankly though I don't think any of them really believe that because it's scary to think that people can be that ignorant. It's probably an excuse to cover their homophobia.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:01 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• So, anon :57, these people expect NOTHING to EVER change? Really? Good luck with THAT.
    Other then fear, there really is no other NON religious reason to hate gays and lesbians. And as far as the religious aspect, why be so gung-ho that being bisexual is wrong? Why not attack adulterers with the same veracity?
    So what if people come on here for help with papers, anon :31? What's the difference in that then standing at the entrance to a store and try to ask shoppers their opinions? I know in a statistics class I took, we had to ask people their ages, how many people in the house, things like that. I made it all up because I wasn't gonna ask strangers how old they are. You don't get a good measure of personal opinion from doing research online, or from articles. How do you think pouring over books in a library are going to get anyone personal opinions?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:07 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• How about the fact that it even the thought of it is just gross. I mean whats the uckiest thing you think of when you say gay marriage? SEX, Just the thought of men/men or women/women having sex is gross. I hate seeing gays or lesbians who don't have enough sense to keep it in the bedroom. Just seeing them get all kissy huggy in public grosses me out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I mean whats the uckiest thing you think of when you say gay marriage? SEX

Why do you go around picturing everyone having sex, perv?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:18 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• LMAO, panicking!
    Anon :12, really? REALLY??? (psst, is panicking right? do you really go around picturing everyone having sex? you might want to see a doc about that)
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 8:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I know a number of non religious people who don't like it. They just simply think its wrong. I myself don't care. I have four gay nephews and they are not all gung ho on the issue. One of them actually thinks its wrong.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:49 AM on Nov. 19, 2009