How often do you let your little one chew gum?

my DD is 4 and she is constantly going through my purse getting gum. I buy sugerfree but I didn't know how bad it still was for her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:24 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My DD is 3 and I let her chew gum anytime she asks for it (if I have it, that is). Half the time though, she digs it out of my purse herself.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 7:37 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• just once. She got it in her hair, the couch on both dogs and well made a mess. Now it's up out of her way.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 7:44 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Well, since I don't chew gun there is hardly ever any in the house. I can't chew it because of a jaw problem (when I chew gum it makes my jaw dislocate...not a fun thing).
    Anyway, my husband chews it and doesn't know how to say no to our 3yo so usually when she asks him she gets a pieces. Maybe a couple times a month. I have no idea what kind he chews but I doubt it is sugar free and it's usually mint flavored. She doesn't seem to care. She's been chew gum since before she turned 3 and has only swallowed it once and accidentally dropped it once (that was recent).
    Funny thing is I don't even allow my older kids to chew it (they are 9, 8 and 7) because it always ends up all over...their hair, their clothes, smooshed to the hardwood, etc. The 3yo is the only responsible gum-chewer.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:11 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My guy had his first piece this halloween and he's 4. He's never had any interest before but he wanted to try the bubble gum in his bag so I let him. He managed to get it stuck to his teeth. Mad skills I tell you. He didn't enjoy the experience at all so I doubt he'll be eating any for a good long while.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:19 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i don't ..... i'm afraid he'll choke on it (or get it everywhere as a pp said lol)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:35 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• my daughter has been chewing it since about 2. she usually swallows it about 30 mins after we give it to her unless we remember to tell her to spit it out. she finds it in my purse, or my car. im tellin you, shes got a nose for it like a bloodhound! she hasnt made a mess with it...yet...but im waiting for the day.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 8:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• NEVER
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:36 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Mine have no interest in gum. The OT for my older two recommended it for their sensory problems and for the oral motor tone of the younger....they won't even try it so I'm not pushing it.

The first time I catch one of them going through my purse, however..for anything...they're not going to even think about doing it again! That's disrespectful to others' personal things!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I haven't given him a single piece yet and he is three. He knows this is for big kids only. When he is five I will let him have some. Until then I prefer he not be at risk for choking, getting it in his hair, or ruining furniture. I chew it occasionally and he has asked about it and shown interest. But as soon as I explained that it is something he can do when he is a little bigger and a little older then he can have some. He is completely fine with this explanation.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:32 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Never. It's not something that a 3 or 4 year old needs. I also would never let my 3 year old go through my purse. Even if there's nothing in there to harm him, it's someone elses personal property.

It always surprised me when we'd go to the park or mall and another child would try to dig in a strangers stroller or diaper bag. Now it makes sense....that child must have had a mother like yourself, who lets her do whatever she wants to do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2009