Does a Wii constitute a good form of entertainment for teens, especially for kids whose parents want them to get away from sitting and looking at screens?

My children's Grandfather wants to get our kids, DD 15 and DS 11, a Wii for Xmas, but my DH and I are torn. I don't like them to rely solely on screens for their entertainment, especially since it promotes inactivity. We usually limit screen time to 1 hour give or take (believe me, they push it). I can hardly get them to walk the dog, and my DD can be pretty lazy, although they are quite helpful around the house! What are your opinions on this form of entertainment??...(I should add that we do not approve of extreme violence or foul language in our home, so those games won't be met with much acceptance).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:46 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Entertainment

• We have a Wii. I think it depends on what game they play as to how much they move around. If you want to get one that gets them moving more -try the Wii fit (it is an excercise program). I don't have that one - yet, but really want it. The games do have ratings on them-- for violence, age... so when shopping for games you will be able to tell what would be appropriate for your house.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:00 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• we have a wii, the game that comes with it is sports, and its a great game. you can play golf, baseball, boxing (if you have nunchucks), tennis, and bowling. the first few weeks we played our wii probably 4 hrs a day, then we calmed down. the only game i can play while sitting is guitar hero. so there is some physical stimulation.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 8:44 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My 14 year old plays all the Wii games by barely moving his wrist while lying on the couch. They really don't require any movement or exercise. It is fun though, and you can all play together as a family, so that is a plus. Just don't look at it as a form of exercise, it isn't.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:44 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I'm not a fan of any of that video game stuff as a form of entertainment. They try to market it as excersize and I've seen it played, repeatedly, at DH's family gatherings. It's not excersize. And thanks to seeing people, from very young to the 30's and beyond, playing those games for hours and hours, have come to have a strong dislike for the whole video game situation. But that is just my opinion. Maybe you can talk to the grandfather and come to a compromise on something you would rather your children have.
    Anonymous

• Ehh... It really depends on the person playing. Most games CAN be active, but you have to PLAY them that way.

I'd suggest checking out Wii sports (they have a tennis game, that I don't know how'd you'd be able to play sitting down lol). It's a fun game, and is supposed to promote activity.
    sweetheart1985

Answer by sweetheart1985 at 4:17 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• we bought our kids 16 and 13 a Wii...the almost NEVER touch it. waste of money - they played it some for the first month or two, but not much
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:37 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I'm not sure, it seems better than watching tv or regular video games. Truthfully the only way you can get your kids away from tv is to cut it off permanently. I heard EA sports fitness one is better than Wii.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Nov. 21, 2009