is he ok? or am i just paranoid?

my 10 month old started showing signs of being sick, today being the 3rd day, and i took him in yesterday to the doc. she was in the room for literally 2 mins and said he looks like he is getting the h1n1, and gave me tamiflu for him. thats it, i didnt even get to talk to her. i called another doc, and he didnt seem to concerned either.
my son wont eat much, i give him tylenol frequently, every time i give him the tami flu, he pukes it up. and he wont sleep. he sleeps more when hes well than when hes sick. =/isnt it supposed to be the other way around?
they dont want me to bring him in unless hes lethargic or starts to get a fever higher than 104.
do you think my son is ok? are the docs right for having no real concern?
or am i just paranoid? =/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:10 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would say screw them and get your son back in...TODAY! And realize that you (or your insurance) are paying for a 15 minute office visit, so USE IT! Don't let the doctor leave the room until you have every question you have answered. Write the questions down and go down the list asking them and writing the answers down as he is answering.

In the meantime, definitely give Pedialyte...liquid or pops and a cool-mist humidifer. Give him anything he will eat.

DO NOT mix any medicines until you have the okay by your child's pediatrician. You say you have been giving Tylenol...well, can't figure it would be okay to be mixing that with something like Motrin.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 8:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• OMG< get him some pedialyte make sure he drinks some twice a day, (flavored) motrin, humidifier, anything to make him comfy. I don't think he has a good doctor, I'd look into gettting another one. If you have to take him to the emergency room.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 8:15 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• they didnt do a nose swab test to see if he had h1n1? that is weird i would go to a different doctor or go to the er with him. how can he look like he has it? take him else where
    firstimemomm603

Answer by firstimemomm603 at 8:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Some doctors just suck, the only way to test for the flu is with a swab.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Most of the time, even the nose test swab doesn't tell you have H1N1, it just tells you whether it's the "regular" flu or not. If they can't find another reason for you child to be sick and he doesn't have the "regular" flu, they are assuming it's H1N1.
    If he's not better, I would call the dr and ask for him to be seen again - tell them he's throwing up the medicine.

Answer by missanc at 9:32 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• The nose swab isn't reliable for a diagnosis. You will often receive a false negative!!!

He's throwing up medicine, why in the hell would you give him pedialyte? He'll just throw that up too!

Does he have a fever or is the Tylenol just to help him be comfortable? If for a fever, does it come down with the medication?

Did you call in to tell them he vomits with the tamiflu? He might be sensitive to it. What are the possible side effects for that medication? Did you check to be sure it's okay to give Tylenol with tamiflu?

If it is the flu (any kind) all you can do is monitor him and ride it out. Treat the symptoms...keep him comfortable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Nov. 19, 2009