What does your family do for Thanksgiving? Traditions? Travel?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We go over to my mom's and that's about it. This year I'm going to try to start something new though. I'm going to have all the kids right down something that they are thankful for and then put it in a shoebox. I'm going to keep the box up and bring it down next year so that we can see what we were thankful for the previous year and then add to it every year with new things that we are thankful for.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:19 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We don't really do anything. My husband will probably be working and with how his job is now that means he'll be gone all day (until at least 7pm) so he won't be home for dinner.
    I cook a big meal but we don't go anywhere and no one comes to visit us. It will just be me and the kids because my dad (who we live with) has already said he's not planning on coming down for dinner. Whatever.
    Last year was a hard Thanksgiving. I ended up curled in bed crying. The day fell on what would have been my mom's 60th birthday. She died in 2000 at the age of 51 and the whole day I thought of her since it was her birthday. I barely made it through the day. This year, her birthday is the day after Thanksgiving.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We're a military family so we live pretty far from home. Most yrs, my dh has worked on Thanksgiving, so those yrs we celebrate on Black Friday. I do a lot of cooking, and we usually either invite some Single Sailors or another family or two that we're friends with over for dinner. This year, we're helping with organizing and making a home cooked dinner for the Sailors that live in the barracks on the day before Thanksgiving and then we're having friends over on Thanksgiving day.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Well, this year I am passing the torch! I have been hosting Thanksgiving for many years. Having as many as 45 people in my home. This year my oldest dd, she is 25, is having it at her house. My mom and I are helping her plan it and get the food, dishes, tables and chairs together. It will feel kind of strange to me to not be the one doing it all, but I think I'll enjoy it.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 9:04 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I usually make a big meal and have a bunch of people over...single Marines from the Barracks and other Marine families. My MIL sometimes comes down to bitch about how we have all these "non family" people in our house for a "family" holiday. She wanted to come down this year, but we don't have the room in this tiny apartment for all those people. I think we've been invited to a friend's house. Next year, back to the Thanksgiving grind!
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 9:15 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Big meal, family, company from about noon till 10 pm. Gonna have about 20 people this year, not counting "drop-ins" who will come by and *nibble* and go on to the next place. All the kids and their children, the spouses of the married ones, close friends/fiancees and even BFF of others will all be here.
    Thanksgiving is a dress rehearsal for Christmas, when we do the whole thing again and add presents and a tree.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 10:21 AM on Nov. 19, 2009