32 week check up

Do they check your cervix at 32 weeks? If not, can I request to have it checked?

**I know checking the cervix does not tell you anything about labor. I know it increases chances of infection.**

I just want to know for MY own peace of mind if all these braxton hicks I've been having for the last 3 months have done anything to my cervix. So if I ask will they check for me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Standard cervical checks usually start at 36 weeks and happen at each weekly visit. Before then, if you have a concern or request that they check, they should honor that request.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:53 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My dumbass soctor hasn't checked my cervix yet, and I'm 35 going on 36 weeks, and he is sooo passive, he's still only seeing me every 2 weeks. I go in today so hopefully things will change. Plus you sound a little paranoid, you have to have your cervix checked and they will check more often when you start going in once a week. Normal porcedure stuff, and braxton hicks is normal, it can last a while, and wait till you feel the baby have the hiccups.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 8:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Most doctors don't check the cervix till around 39 weeks, there is no point.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:39 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• If you have a good doctor as soon as you tell them you are feeling something like contractions or having pressure down there they will check without you saying anything else! And I am sorry but, what Zacksmommy said is so un true. They will check it if you give them any sign that you could be going into preterm labor. Even if your not they will check it! Congrats on the new baby!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Actually i'm not so wrong, i'm talking normal pregnancies. IF there are complications, then yes they check. Braxtons and alot of pressure is common in late pregnancies. I was having braxtons with both my kids by second trimester. So NO i'm not wrong. I'm going on the fact that she is having a normal healthy pregnancy, and they won't automaticly check at 32 weeks, well some will but it's not too common
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 8:52 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• You could be right when it comes to some doctors. But, I had a normal pregnancy up until I was 32 weeks. I was feeling a lot of pressure and what everyone thought was BH turned out not to be. I never felt any major pain ever. They put me on preterm labor meds and I stopped taking them because of the way it made me feel and I had a c-section at 35 weeks because out of the blue my blood pressure which was normal sky rocketed! All I'm tring to say is when it comes to pregnancy you can't be too careful. So If you have a good doctor they will check it if you want them to no matter what your feeling. You just never can be too safe!
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 9:11 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• It depends on the doctor. My doctor checks any time you ask. I went yesterday for my 35 week check and had been feeling a lot of pressure and asked her to check me and she did, told me my cervix is fine and that I'm just feeling the baby's head bearing down.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i would just ask :) tell them why you want to and ask their opinion on it.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Thanks moms. I asked and he was kind enough to check no questions asked. He said I know my body better than he does lol. But luckily cervix is closed and baby's not low yet :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Nov. 19, 2009