What is the best way to encourage a 2yr old to use the potty?

There have been times where she would actually just sit on the potty chair....but wouldnt use it. I have tried the reward system - FAILED! She seems as if shes ready. She tells me whe she uses it and actually takes off her pullup. Now I'm stuck.....dont know how to move forward with the process. Maybe Im going about the wrong way....Any suggestions?????

MrsTootie

Asked by MrsTootie at 8:50 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when my son was 2 i would sit him on the potty and tell him to squeeze his belly and show him how..(flex your stomach muscles) he got it after a while. I think kids just don't know how to do that so maybe if you help her..pretend you are going to..make the weird faces...and noises..it sounds stupid but it worked with mine after trying everything
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:03 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I would have my kids sit on the potty before getting in the tub at night and read a little book to them. I found getting there mind off it relaxed them and then they would go.
    jessicazeksmom

Answer by jessicazeksmom at 9:05 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I do the noises, she sits on the potty next to mommy and I say ooohh, mommy's going potty, squeeze it out. She knows what it is.
    Theone3608

Answer by Theone3608 at 10:19 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Get rid of the pull up!!!!! Why would she go in the potty when she can just go in a pull up?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We ditched the diapers/pull-ups altogether, stayed home for a few days, and rather than making her sit on the potty, we waited until she started to go in her undies and then moved her there quickly. That teaches them really quickly what the potty's for; otherwise they can just see it as a time out of sorts. If you do it this way, it's a lot of cleanup for a few days and you absolutely have to stay home (you really have to be super vigilant so that you get them to the potty to finish each time and reward them if even a little makes it in, and if you give up and throw a pull-up to go to the store, forget about it working), but then it's done. My daughter trained at 19 months this way, and did great.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:45 AM on Nov. 19, 2009