where we wrong?

Ok we got a dog from craigslist, she was a hound/german shepherd. This morning I had my hubby take her back (the guy we got her from said we could if things didn't work out) because she nipped me 5 times this morning. I have a 1 year old son that she jumped on this morning, now she's a 38 lb dog and he's a 27 lb child lol NOT a good mix. So my question is.... I know she was in the process of transitioning, but she's 9 months and didn't know commands, where we wrong to return her?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Pets

• Always someone....who has to make you feel bad. It's a DOG! He's back with his first owner again. What about all those dogs who go to the kennel for weeks or months at a time when their owners are out of town?

She was probably told "oh, this dog is an angel" it happens. Get puppy home and it's a maniac. Forget that trash. Puppy is going back to where it came from.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• no
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I got a dog from CL once. A beautiful male german shepherd. He got super protective of me...which wasn't a huge deal as long as he was protective of me around strangers. He was protective of me against my husband and son. My son was 4. He came ( ) that close to biting my son's face one day. I found him a new home right quick and in a hurry. I was very blessed to find a couple with NO small children and tons of acreage and some money in their pocket to take care of the dog.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 9:03 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I think you were wrong to get the dog in the first place. You said yourself that the dog was bigger than your child. Why would you have even done that in the first place? You've added stress to the burden of this dog's transition.
    themountainmama

Answer by themountainmama at 9:05 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• He told us the dog was GREAT with babies, she knew commands like "sit" "lay down" "outside" and "no". She knew not to get on furniture especially not the bed, and she was great around strangers and other dogs. i don't know WHAT dog he was talking about but it was not this one. That's the only reason we went with a dog her size, because he said she was around another 1 year old and was very gentle and sweet with her. I think the dog just missed her owner, I felt really bad we had to give her back, but she wasn't doing well here if she was that good for him
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My kids have always been around big dogs, and we've yet to have a problem. 9 months is still a puppy and requires alot of consistant training and rewards to break bad habits. No you weren't wrong for returning the dog. If you want a dog, go to a foster system. Those dogs are all temper tested and you know exactly what you are getting. If you want a specific breed, reasearch the hell out of that breed before you bring one into your home. Not all breeds work with all families.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:19 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Animals need time to adjust. This dog was probably very stressed she did not know you so honestly something like this is not unusual. What were you doing that caused her to nip. I work with dogs so i honestly give them the adjustment period and i will have them checked by a vet and have a behaviorist friend of mine evulate the dog to either confirm my thoughts or to just give an outside oppinion. Even though she was 9 months old and had no training does not mean she can't be trained. Heck i adopt dogs that are 6-8 years old with little to no training and they go on to earn their canine good citizen certificate so it can be done. I am not try to bash just giving other options for the next time. You did what you that was right.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 9:20 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Sounds to me like the dog did not respect you as an authority figure (a necessity with a shepherd). Although unfortunate, the jumping on your child is just a thing a dog does...they get rambunctious and things like that can happen. However, the NIPPING at you is unacceptable and, especially since you have a child, I would not have put up with that and would have done the same.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• You have to remember that the transition time for a dog is about 4-5 weeks. If you don't have the time to spend readjusting/training your dog, then it's not a good time to get a pet.
    kitkabob

Answer by kitkabob at 9:28 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• 9 months is still a puppy and adjustment takes time. Any dog you bring into the house is going to require time to settle and training. I don't think you were wrong to return the dog if that wasn't manageable for you, but if that is something you don't want to handle it might not be the right time to get a dog at all.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:40 AM on Nov. 19, 2009