Would you do this?

Do you remind or make sure your middle schooler gets homework and basic school work done if he orshe forgots ordidn't want to do? Or just let them get an F because of not turning it in or getting it done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• When I was in school my mom didn't do homework with me. She was good mom but she didn't make sure we got everything done and I think it would have been nice to have a little help. I will make sure my kids do there homework. I think in the long run they will be thankful for it.
    smarie1011

Answer by smarie1011 at 9:37 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I don't have a child in middle school , yet. But I would make sure he gets his homework/school work done and on time. Even though that child should be responsible enough to do this himself they might just need that little push from a parent. When I was younger my parents could care less about what I had to do for school, such as projects and such. I feel like if they would of I could of done way better than a C average! It is our job as parents to make sure our children succeed and excel in school. Good luck
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i would tell the child to sleep more since he/she is so forgetfull and its for his/her best health. Not arguing, Doc's visits are expensive. It may clear the child's mind too. I would also remodel a house and have just one room to be "a family office" where there would be a desk for everyone, and it is expected that at particular times your loved ones do their jobs (including your second half - bills etc.) Setting a good example is a very good way to start with, and you could keep an eye of what's happening (is he/she lost and needs some help, flies with his/her thought out and wastes time sitting in the Rm..) I could ask as not to be sick worried for him/her for getting used to an idea of always leaving a message where he/she is. Not to much to ask at all (well, you are the responsible parent called 1st to charges or actions instead). I'd explain and expect the same.
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 9:42 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I always ask if they have homework...need pencils or whatever. they seem very disorganised at middle school age. My daughter is MUCH better now that she is in high school, but I still ask if there is homework to be done- even though she is really good about doing what she needs to do. I think it's part of our job to help them. That does NOT mean DO homeowrk FOR them at all, but just reminders and such
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:02 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I should think that the answer to this question would depend on the individual child. Some children are cognitively mature enough to do it all on their own & not forget, while others would forget their own heads each morning if they weren't attached to their bodies.

Unfortunately, we humans do not automatically gain skills with each passing year (heck, some of us never do!), instead we poor humans must work hard all our lives at being perfect.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Asking to see their homework shows them you care so yes I'd make sure they did it.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:53 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I will make sure all homework is done until they graduate HS. I'm not going to do it for them, but I will help when they need it and hound them until it's done.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:58 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My daughter is 14. I remind her (and double check assignments and deadlines on the school website).

Answer by rkoloms at 11:02 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I remind/nag. I also study with them when they ask. And yes I will drive an assignment to school if I get a call. (Recent call, Mom I brought in the paragraph but left the supporting article on my desk. I didn't realize I needed it attached to the paragraph.) I don't ask to see their work every night, only ask if they did it. Mine are a little better than most. Some kids require more supervision.
    Anonymous

• We've actually come up with this issue with our 4th grader. Up until this year she has taken care of her own homework. I've never had to help her with it since she started school or supervise her. She just did it and that was it. This year...she just doesn't care. The first quarter I left it up to her. She's 9 and old enough to be responsible for her own things. I still remind her to do her homework every day after school and ask her if she finished it all, checked her assignment book periodically.
    But I found out later on she was lying about having homework, not finishing half of it or not turning it in. She's been bringing home Fs and Ds on papers and tests but somehow managing As and Bs on her report card.
    After a long talk with her teacher I'm not basically a warden. I have to initial each assignment after i check and make sure she has it done. Her teacher packs her bag for her and initials her book. It's sad.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:41 PM on Nov. 19, 2009