Another PA question..

We were talking about this at school the other day. Is PA a generational thing- as in- you were raised on PA and you are also on PA.. many people in your family are also on PA or it is a sign of the times? Are you on PA and never thought you would be? Are you the "first" in your family to be on PA? What is your experience?

wildboyz1994

Asked by wildboyz1994 at 9:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I grew up poor and in my neighborhood there were 3 generations living off social entitlements. We never took a penny of help. My parents were made fun of and we had less than those who were on social entitlements. My dad worked two crap jobs and got us out of that neighborhood. He started his own business and made it a success was not easy and no one helped him. He had a drive and anyone with a drive will succeed. My siblings and I all have lived our lives the way we were taught. We learned to rely on ourselves and we will get out of life what we put in to it. We are all successful.

In my old neighborhood some of my friends from back in the day are on welfare and most have teens that are now parents again on welfare. It is really sad. Not sure how we can change that lazy and entitled mentality.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I've never been, nor have my parents or grandparents ever been on PA. I do not anticipate ever having to be on PA because we've set aside money for "hard times". However, my sisters children, who had the same "opportunities" are both unwed mothers who are on PA. They are just too lazy to get an education or a job.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:42 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Basically its a generational thing. Many people do use it because of the economic mess we are in, but outside of that its generational.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:43 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Some members of my family, including my parents, have been on PA at various times, briefly. I myself am currently getting food stamps and medicaid to cover my kids, b/c I am unemployed, no jobs around here and a recent injury preventing me from working. As soon as I am cleared, I will be finding a job and getting off the food stamps, the medicaid I will probably keep b/c the kids are on some expensive meds that I can't cover otherwise, and any new insurance won't cover the pre-existing condition. I don't like being on it, but my kids are my priority, and without it they wouldn't eat or have the meds they need, so I swallow my pride and do what I need to do to make sure they are taken care of.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• It can be cyclical, just like abusive relationships and drug and alcohol dependency. Some people don't even realize that it isn't much of a life living below the poverty line with less access to education and resources...Some think that's what life is

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:50 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i see a generation of kids who get free breakfast, lunch, doctors, dentist, housing, etc... while mommy and daddy sit on their butt and do drugs.... with no motivation to work they have no motivation to be successful or even learn, they expect the handouts they are being raised on... it is very sad. my family did get food stamps when my dad was laid off in 1985. that lasted a year. besides that my fam has never needed PA. so it all depends on how engrossed the family unit is in the free handout system. some people use it as it should be -- a short term fix to feed their kids until they get back on their feet.... for others it is a way of life!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:53 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• ANON 944- so in your case do you think that geography also plays a role- as in if you live in an area where jobs are and have always been scarce the people there tend to be on PA more than say an area where there are many jobs? If so, why do you think people continue to live in those areas generation after generation rather than relocate to another area? I am not judging- just asking- we were talking about all of these factors the other day and since we live in a higher employment area near a major city, not many of us have any background in why people choose to live where there are few jobs. Just trying to see all sides of the issue rather than just our side here....
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Some people don't even realize that it isn't much of a life living below the poverty line with less access to education and resources...Some think that's what life is

We talked about this as well..... I tend to agree that some people do not see any hope or value in a better life... interesting huh?
    wildboyz1994

Answer by wildboyz1994 at 9:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i see a generation of kids who get free breakfast, lunch, doctors, dentist, housing, etc... while mommy and daddy sit on their butt and do drugs

Would you rather the kids starve while their parents do drugs?

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:58 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I'm curious about why people don't move where the job situation is better. I live in a small community in Oklahoma, cost of living is very affordable. The company I work for had two jobs with starting pay at $38k a year plus full benefits. We had very few people even apply.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2009