what is the best thing to use on a newborn's face for eczema

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 10:06 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• CeraVe. My daughter has used it all her life. You can get it at CVS, maybe Wallgreens
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:12 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Aveno
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• ok thank you. i've been getting different opinions on this since the pediatrician suggested selsun blue (the dandruff shampoo)
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 10:28 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• plain water and a wash cloth - the soaps dry out the skin something terrible.

I loved Gerber Teeny Faces - its a big tube (like chapstick) and you just dab it on. worked like a charm for my three sensitive kids.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Vaseline worked best on my daughter. We avoid soap as much as possible, too, because it dries skin out. The ped recommended Aquaphor because it has no perfumes, etc, but it was so expensive and one day I realized that the first ingredient in Aquaphor is petrolatum so why was I paying a fortune when Vaseline is the same thing and so inexpensive? There is also a non-steroid cream called Elidel (sp?) that can be used sparingly, but my insurance wouldn't cover it because it is more for kids over 2 so we just had to tough it out with the Vaseline. Some docs have samples of it though. I used a steroid cream on the eczema other places but didn't put it on her face for fear she would ingest it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:19 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• op
    thanks again for all the advice
    samantha21385

Answer by samantha21385 at 3:51 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• eucerinn cream is the best thing to use for that, and aquaphor wich is under the same brand is great for baby dry skin
    DestinesMommy

Answer by DestinesMommy at 4:27 AM on Nov. 20, 2009

• I agree with the first post, CeraVe, I took my dtr. to the derm. (shes 7 mnths old) and thats what she told us to get, and it really works!
    clransom

Answer by clransom at 6:53 PM on Nov. 20, 2009