3 year old is not interested in potty training...help?

My son turned 3 in August and has no interest in the potty at all. I try the every 20 min question and always get told "I'm too busy mommy". If I try to push him he throws a tantrum. Any suggestions?

Mother2g2b

Asked by Mother2g2b at 10:11 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my oldest was like this. I finally just told him that I wasn't putting any more diapers on him. He had one accident, didnt' like the feeling, then he ran to the bathroom. Never had a problem afterwards. With my second and third, they were potty trained in the summer time, with them being boys and living in the country I told them that they could pee on the trees. They never had an accident (that I knew of, since they spent most of their summer swimming), it wasn't until it got cold that they would cry because they wanted to pee on trees...lol......broke that problem by putting a tree sticker on the toiled seat lid and telling them to pee UNDER the tree......LOL
    54313MomOf4Boys

Answer by 54313MomOf4Boys at 10:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My son was stubborn about potty-training also. After 3 days of fighting with him about it, we decided to let him do it on his own. We left him in underwear and told him that we wouldn't be reminding him anymore to sit on the potty or asking if he had to go, it was up to him, it was his job. That's all it took. He told us when he had to go that entire day and we had no accidents.
    ZacsMom

Answer by ZacsMom at 11:04 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My daughter was stubborn in the beginning too. However, you have to make it fun, and reward him when he goes without a fit or even with one when he does use the potty. I would take my daughter regardless if she told me she had to go or not..and usually she would end up going. Then if she went I'd praise her and tell her to give me a 'high five'! I never used candy, or food as a reward. I didn't want to have to make sure to have something with me when we were out in public. So the high five has always worked great!
    Kaydens_mommy06

Answer by Kaydens_mommy06 at 11:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2009