How would you handle a disrespectful child?

How would you handle a child who is disrespectful and ignores you most of the time and tries to tell you what to do? If you've tried taking things away, did the time outs, even spanked them for doing wrong and nothing works what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• pour tobasco sauce down there throat
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Um time outs for an older child? Uh no, disrespect is not tolerated in my house PERIOD. If my children choose to be disrespectfull then they chose to live without any and all of their luxuries, they can also do their own laundry, cook their own meals, find their own lunch money or make their own lunches etc....
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:32 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I have two twelve year olds in this attitude bracket. My daughter is pretty easy to handle when she gets like this.... just act offended, as though she's hurt my feelings and she punishes herself into apologizing.

My son is a different story. I've tried everything you've said and then some.... nothing seems to work. I've recently tried doing what he does to me. He wants me to take him to a friend's house? I'll say okay, but then I'll go about my business. When he comes back to me I tell him what he says to me, "I know, Charlie. I said I would." By the third time he comes to me, he's upset, which is when I tell him, "Oh, you mean you're upset because you asked me to do something and I said I would, but didn't? And now you're angry with me? Now you know how I feel when you do that. Remember it next time I ask you to do something." Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I now have it to remind him of.
    MammaItalia

Answer by MammaItalia at 10:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Go Zak.

My daughter only had her school uniform, and bedding, I took all her clothes away, freedom, music, eveyrthing she.

She trys to get nippy, but falls into place.

Oh, and the guilt thing Don't fall for it, If you do, she will always win, I hate you, you don't love me, Blahhh, bllaaah blaaahhhh.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• well I have a step-daughter who is 11 almost 12 and a 10 yr old daughter who has picked up on her older sisters habits and so now my hb and I have two of them that think it's okay in this house to call the shots. My hb has even littererly booted them both in the butt with his boot one night because they both made a remark about how he and I were such crappy parents. I said well if were so crappy then why is it that they have CPS has never came knocking at my door but one time and they even said that the worse thing my kids have is an over attachment disorder and adhd outside of being extremely spoiled and now that their younger siblings are starting to pick up on this we have considered boot camp??? I should also enclose that I check lay out their clothes for school and now they are both down to having nothing but their beds, bedding and pillows we have taken everything else away including tv and computer rights among other...
    momof5monsters

Answer by momof5monsters at 12:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• But this only works on the step-daughter when she's here and lately she's not been here but twice in the last 2 months because her mom said that I had no right to do any disciplining of her daughter and I said excuse me but this child lives in my house part of the time she's going to go by her dad's and my rules if not then to darn bad... And Mom hasn't brought-en her over since the middle of October... But that still hasn't stopped the 10 yr old from filling her older sisters shoes and both of the girls teachers have called us for PT meetings and they both got down slips the other day since they are refusing to do homework or certain class projects. My hb and I are at the end of our ropes with these two we have more than these 2 children in our home that have needs also that have to be met and most of our other children are under the age of 5.. Were looking for suggesting...
    momof5monsters

Answer by momof5monsters at 12:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I do NOT tolerate disrespect from any child. As for my 13 yr old son, IF he disrespects me (which he has yet to do) he would get EVERYTHING taken away but his bed, books and clothes. I would do the bare minimum for him. He would get nothing special, have NO choices until he earns it all back.

As for hot sauce being pored down the throat, DUMB idea. Good way to burn a hole in the throat, espohagus or stomach.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We give our older kids a warning then we start charging them a nickel a smart mouth comment. They have to stop whatever they are doing and go get the money. It goes into a kitty in the kitchen. If they are really awful, I warn them that the price will be going up. A nickel or two in my jar and they simmer down pretty easily. If it gets too out of hand I start taking away books (their favorite things. it has never gone father than that.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:22 PM on Nov. 19, 2009