Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does anyone know? ( has to do with college)

I've been going to school to get my RN. But I've been working as a STNA and decided its not what I want to do with my life.

I want to go into education. I really want to do middle childhood education, but the school I go to now only offers early childhood education.

So what I was wondering if anyone knows if I get a degree in early, is it easy to then get a middle childhood degree? Or is it it two completely degrees?

I'm going to make an appointment with my advisor and ask her it just usually takes a few weeks to talk to anyone and get answers.

Answer Question

Asked by amy31308 at 10:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in

Level 5 (92 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Every university is probably different in what they require, but I would think that at most all of them, there would be some overlap in the course work. Certain courses would likely count in either major, but you want to be very sure of that before you waste your time and money. When you talk to your counselor, it would also be a good idea to get down in writing what she tells you are the requirements. One of my children almost got delayed in graduating because he was given the wrong information by his counselor.

    Answer by NannyB. at 10:30 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

  • Each state has different requirements for teachers. In most states, if you have a BA in anything you have to then get certified to teach on top of that. For middle school and up, all of the teachers in my circle of pals got their BA or Master's in the field they wanted to teach then got certified in their level. I have only taught in the private sector/ higher ed, so I didn't have to go through so much paperwork. Check your state board of education first.

    Answer by ecodani at 10:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

  • What subject are you wanting to teach? In middle school thety still have different classes right? I suggest getting certified k-12 in what subject your wanting to teach. It'll make it easier for you to get a job.

    Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:52 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

  • I got my degree in middle school education but I can teach at any level. Most schools only care that you have a degree (any level) and are certified.

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:39 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

  • completely different certifications, switch colleges, and i really think you should reconsider. middle school is the WORST field to go into, for so many reasons! and as an RN you could make literally twice as much. be a nurse and volunteer in your local school.

    Answer by AmaliaD at 12:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

  • You need to talk to a guidance counselor at your college. Due to the No Child Left Behind Law, teaching laws have been changed. In Wisconsin, for middle school you have to have a degree in the subject area you want to teach in and a teaching certificate for those grades. Same with high school grades. If you are not certified for a grade level, you can NOT teach that level. You can sometimes sub with just a BA. Requirements also vary from state to state.

    AmaliaD: Maybe she doesn't care about how much money she is making, Maybe she would rather be HAPPY in her career. Money is not always important to people, sometimes it is career happiness.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.