Sleep issues!

Ok first I want to say I don't believe in CIO so don't bother recommending that. My ds is now 17 months and from 6 weeks to 4 months he would put himself to sleep and slept the Entire night(at least from 8-5). Since 4 months he has needed me to rock him to bed and even gets up multiple times needing to be rocked back to sleep. He never had a paci(hated it) or sucked his thumb so I guess this is his comfort item. Sometimes it's clear why he gets up(nightmare, cold,pain) but other times it just seems like he misses me(I'm in school full time and work part time on weekends). Also he is very hyper and has a hard time settling down even with a strict bedtime routine. I would love if he could put himself to sleep and stay asleep by the time he is ready for a toddler bed. Any advice?

Jnc91

Asked by Jnc91 at 10:25 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I highly recommend "The No Cry Sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. As a mom who also doesn't believe in CIO I found that a lot of the strategies in the book were great. It's not an overnight problem solver, but if you stick with it the ideas do work. There's also a toddler/preschooler version. Good luck!
    Mammoo

Answer by Mammoo at 10:36 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• haha. well, I have a very active son who hates to go to bed ! I found a blue nightlight, its one of those blue pedicare vapor ones when he had a cold and that has helped,. also when my son was about 19 months old I started talking to him after booktime right before I lay him in his crib ' max, its bedtime, you get to sleep with your puppy and blue blanket and sleep all through the night and when you wake up in the morning, mommy will come and get you and you can help mommy make pancakes, but its beditme now and Mommy has to go to bed too " it works half the time, the other 1/4 of the time the blue nightlight is enough, the other times he puts himself to bed the other way you don't want to talk about
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 19, 2009