Hamster?

My DD (9) wants a hamster. I know nothing about them. She tells me her friends have some they crawl all over the bed and floor. That sounds disqusting. Do they carry diseases? Like reptiles carry samonella. How clean are they? What's the up keep on the cage?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Pets

• I would get a rat,guinea pig or bunny. These are the only rodents allowed in our house, we have a bunny right now they can be litter trained taught to come when called and many are very friendly and well domesticated, we have a lion lop he only gets about 3-4 pounds and is great with my 3 1/2 year old. We can let him out and he hops around the house but they do have some seriously sharp nails need a pedipaw for them.
    We had hamsters and they are just mean little animals in my opinion and you cannot really get them out without constant supervision and I am not a fan.
    PsychMommie

Answer by PsychMommie at 10:49 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Hamsters are not my favourite little critter, and I've had a lot of 'pocket pets' over the years. The hamsters I have known have been bitey. My favourite rodents are rats or guinea pigs- I've had both and they are quite friendly and docile pets.
    Any caged pet is going to need upkeep. The cage will need to be cleaned once or twice a week (with my guinea pigs I clean the cage throroughly once a week and spot-clean the bathroom area of the cage more frequently.) Any rodent will smell if the cage is not kept clean. As for germs, just like anything else proper hygiene should apply. Clean up any 'accidents' promptly and wash hands after handling pets. That being done it should be fine- I've had small pets ever since getting my first pet mice at age nine and I have NEVER caught anything from any pet I've ever had. HTH!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:56 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Hamster actually make terrible pets. They're not a "sociable" animal so they tend to bite and aren't very clean.
    Get a rat instead. They're clean, friendly, can do tricks, and even use a litter box.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 5:23 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Agree! Hamsters aren't for kids (and I don't care for them) as a lot of people think. Especially the dwarf hamsters seem to like biting no matter how they are raised (I raised 2 or 3 generations of them and all though handled daily from day 3 of birth, ended up mean). If she wants a small pet try a rat or a mouse, both are great pets, friendly, clean, mostly only the males have much of a scent, rats are really good kids pets. They are nothing like the dirty, dieased wild cousins. They are easy to care for, not very expensive either. Even gerbils can be good for a kid that age, but I still recommend a mouse or rat as they are less jumpy than gerbils.
    stargazerwolf

Answer by stargazerwolf at 11:44 PM on Dec. 23, 2009