what would you do?

My child is 4 and having a party soon. But my sister has only made it to 1 of her b-day parties. I have made it to every one of her daughters parties. She says that I have no right getting upset because I can't afford to make it to my parents house this year for Thanksgiving so I should understand. But she has only made it to 1 party for my daughter. It makes me feel very small, like my daughter doesn't mean anything to her. I always know that I can never count on any of my family to come except for my mom. Would you be upset too? I don't really know how I can even talk to her now knowing that she is never willing to come to my house but I always go to hers for her events.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Di it this way from now on. Invite her to the party. If she does not show up. The next time she invites you to her house. Do not go. do exactly what she did. If she said she would come and didn't do that. If she didn't call and say she was not coming, do not call either.

Answer by louise2 at 11:19 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Maybe stop going to hers if it hurts you this bad. My family is like that. My sister didn't call on my daughter's birthday this year. Then turned around and got mad when I didn't call her. I know two wrongs don't make a right but maybe she needs to see how bad it hurts.
    ldsdragonmom

Answer by ldsdragonmom at 11:03 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I'd be upset and I wouldn't go to anymore of her events. I would mail your neice or nephews card and gifts. Until she can come around more.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I'd be upset, but it is what it is. You can't change your sister, only yourself. If it bothers you that much, don't go to hers either.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:08 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Go to her daughters parties because not going to punish the sister really punishes your niece. Just be the bigger person, which I know isn't easy to do, or indulge your annoyance for five mintues and then just move on. Invite her to things because she is your sister and it is the right thing to do, but expect her not to come, and if she does you can be pleasantly surprised. If you can't attend something and she gives you grief over it simply tell her that you make your best effort but as she well knows people's schedules don't always allow for attendance at every function. Use this as a teaching example for your daughter as she grows, that sometimes even though we wish people would behave differently, they just don't always get it and we have to accept that and not take it personally. And you can teach her how much her presence at things can make people happy and how she would be missed if she didn't go.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I agree with Mary. Don't punish the kids b/c you're mad at your sister.
    CartersMom527

Answer by CartersMom527 at 4:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2009