How to introduce Santa Clause?

Im due December 1st, this is my first child and i know this year she'll be to young to know the diffrence. But when do you start the Santa stories, and everything?

Froggy_girl1790

Asked by Froggy_girl1790 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Holidays

• Last year, when my son was 2 1/2, we talked about Santa a little but he didn't seem to understand the concept or really care. This year is much different. We've told him how Santa will come on Christmas Eve and leaves gifts for him. He nods his head and looks like he's in deep thought about it. He hasn't asked any questions but you can tell that he's thinking about it.
    ZacsMom

Answer by ZacsMom at 11:14 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Because I was a SAHM we didn't have a lot of money for presents when my oldest son was young. We didn't want him to think he wasn't getting piles of presents from Santa because he wasn't "good enough" and we wanted him to know the presents were from us.

We decided to tell him from the beginning that there was no Santa, he was make believe. All my kids always knew. They would still sit on Santa's lap for pictures and stuff. We lived in family housing on a major college campus for several years and they had Christmas parties with an older gentleman that had the real beard and everything. He was a great Santa and they really liked the man and the parties. There was horse drawn carriage rides and everything.

They liked knowing and thought it was bad that parents 'lied' to their kids. The problem came when they decided to tell other kids there was no Santa. We homeschooled so it wasn't much of a problem.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:19 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My DD is 2 and she still don't really understand...If we see pictures of him she just looks at him and I tell her who he is and she just looks at me like im silly. But Merry Madigascar has him on there and she says "Momma Santa Dance!" so we are working on it, I say by 3 she will really know
    ToberzMama

Answer by ToberzMama at 11:27 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I don't think it is ever too young to read Santa Stories.....if that is what you feel like reading to her this year then do so! It is supposed to be just as fun for you as it is for her, making the magic of Christmas come alive! My son is just now (at almost 3) starting to understand the concept of the lights and the tree and the man in the big red suit, but doesn't really know know....I think he just gets excited because we are excited. Christmas is a HUGE production around our house, and we try to make it as much fun for my DS as possible. Just make it all fun for her and show her how pretty you think the lights are and how wonderful you think the cookies are etc etc etc, and of course they will pick up on your excitement! The knowing about Santa and that he is going to bring presents probably doesnt come till late 2's or 3's though
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 12:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My son will be 3 in January, we don't do Santa. No need to lie to children about a fictitious character. I work hard for my money, and don't want the credit going to some imaginary man! So, I have no idea. It's actually a lot harder to explain to your child that Santa doesn't exist!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 6:43 PM on Nov. 20, 2009

• For those who commented saying Santa is a lie and fictitious you are wrong. St. Nicholas was a real person and his story lives on today as an additional true story to the birth of Jesus. Let a kid be a kid and enjoy imagining good positive things. They grow up way too fast! To Froggy girl: I would start by letting your child listen to Christmas songs and let him or her watch the dvd's maybe Elmo or Snoopy. Also a miracle on 34th street is good but may be too advanced just yet. Good Luck!
    MLM0503

Answer by MLM0503 at 9:04 PM on Nov. 29, 2009

• The question is how to go about INTRODUCING Santa Clause....I have the same question. If you have an answer please share with us. If not, and your beliefs are yours and that's great but if you don't have an answer and want to give your input about Santa being fake and how you don't share the belief, please keep to yourself and just answer if you can be helpful.

mcjuly76

Answer by mcjuly76 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 15, 2012