15mo won't stand or walk

My son is 15 months old and still isn't standing by himself or walking. He pulls himself up and walks along the furniture.. will even hold on with one hand. Sometimes he pauses as if considering letting go, he does than slowly sinks to his knees. I've tried holding his hands and walking with him but he's not interested in it and just lets himself go limp and cries. I'm not sure what to do now. Do I keep trying to get him to walk or do I give up and let him do it in his own time?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 11:14 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There is nothing you can do. Do not force him if his legs aren't ready. Don't worry, he'll get there!!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:15 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My son will be 15 months on Dec 2nd. He just started taking his first steps on Monday. Before this, he would only stand on his own for 2 seconds. And then on Monday he was at the gate, let go, and just started walking! LOL He has figured out how to stand up without holding onto anything and can walk pretty far without falling.
    He wasn't ready and now he seems to finally be more interested in it!

Your son will start walking as soon as he is ready to. And once he does, he'll be running around in no time! Don't wrory about it at all!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• just keep encouraging him! if he is cruising along furniture cheer him on. do you have any sit-stand-walk toys? my friend's son is 14 m/o and is just now standing on his own for a few seconds and can take 1-2 steps by himself. every child hits milestones at their own pace! it's a good sign your toddler is at least cruising!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• If he wasn't pulling up on the furniture I would worry, but since he is it sounds like he is just taking his time. My daughter took a few steps one day and then nothing for at least 3 weeks and then she just took off- I think she was figuring it out so she wouldn't have to stumble much. The push toys are great because it helps with the forward walking motion, as opposed to side-stepping around the coffee table, couch, etc. But don't worry, before long he will be off and running and you will turn around and think "How did he get away so fast!?!"
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:13 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I do have a push toy and I stand him up by it and show him how to use it, he pushes it for a couple seconds then kneels and pushes it. I'm encouraging him as much as possible.. hopefully he'll start at it soon.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 3:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My son did this when he was 11-12 months old. He would do the same thing your child is doing. It's a little intimidating to just take off walking with no support. Even with mom holding his hand/s. Just let him get the hang of it and eventually he'll walk on his own. Don't force him, because that might encourage him to stray away from it since he's already timid of it. If he's tempting it, even if he does go to his knees, then that's a good sign. Just let him go at it in his own time.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:44 PM on Nov. 19, 2009