New Mammogram Recommendations

For anyone who is not already aware, the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force is urging women to wait until they have reached 50 years of age before pursuing an annual mammogram. The previous recommendation was for women to begin receiving an annual mammogram at age 40.

Based on what you know about breast cancer and the risks involved with delaying an exam as well as the potential added exposure to radiation by receiving exams early, do you think you will wait until age 50 to begin receiving an annual breast exam or will you still pursue an exam starting at age 40?

If you are currently between the ages of 40-49, will you continue receiving an annual mammogram or will you wait?

sillyt

Asked by sillyt at 11:18 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Health

• Yes, if my insurance will cover it. I will still get one every year.

Answer by louise2 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Actually, the recommendations should have changed years ago. The research has been clear for years that women don't need to start getting mammograms until age 50.

Breast self exams are a waste of money to promote. They have known that for years.

I refused to get yearly mammograms when I was younger because I knew my breast tissue was dense and I had fibrocystic breasts. Both make mammograms hard to read. I got my first mammogram when I was around 45 and then started getting them about every 2 years. I'm now in my 50's.

I breastfed for a total of over 10 years with my 3 children. Breastfeeding reduces your risk of breast cancer.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:29 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I had a baseline mammogram at 45 and go every two years...

Answer by rkoloms at 8:41 AM on Nov. 20, 2009