My son doesn't sleep through the night!

He does't sleep all day either. He just sleeps a few hours at a time then wakes up. Once I get up to get him in the middle of the night, he won't go back to sleep in his crib, only in the bed with me. I know this is a bad habit, but I don't know what to do! Anyone have any advice? Thanks! :)

mom2sweetboy820

Asked by mom2sweetboy820 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old is your child?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:22 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i have the same problem!
    micahsmommy512

Answer by micahsmommy512 at 11:28 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We had a similar problem and decided to was time to try the cry it out method. We used 'the sleep easy method'. CIO is not for everyone, but it might be worth learning more about. Good luck!
    SavvyMomma1809

Answer by SavvyMomma1809 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• oh, that's also dependent on age. if your baby is 6 months or less, I wouldn't recommend it.
    SavvyMomma1809

• It's normal for babies not to sleep through the night until they are 3. Babies are supposed to wake up if they aren't next to their mother. It is a survival mechanism. Just because modern US babies have cribs to sleep in their brains are still hard wired for surviving.

Breastfed toddlers may nurse at night until they are 2 or even older.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:15 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• sorry, i should have included that... he is 3 months old.
    mom2sweetboy820

Answer by mom2sweetboy820 at 12:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• my son woke frequently until 17 months =( imo, and from other moms i know, it's normal. ESPECIALLY at 3 months. it's really typical at 3 months, not so typical at 17 months. good luck getting some rest :)
    Anonymous

• I snuck a look at your profile and your DS is only 2 months old?? If that is correct, then he probably just isn't able to sleep for more than 4-5 hours at night time at the most. And will take about 3 naps during the day too, with 1-2 hours of awake time in between.

There are many moms that co-sleep and recommend it. I personally don't. If your goal is to have him sleep alone in a crib for longer periods of time, my advice is make sure you are still swaddling him. He may fuss at first like he hates it, but persist on, especially at night, as this will help him feel held and secure without actually being held in your arms. I swaddle DS everynight, and nurse and rock him to near sleep, then put him down. He may fuss a bit and that's ok, but if he cries, I pick him up, rock him, comfort him and put him back down. It's a slow process but he's slowly learning to sleep for longer periods of time. I wear a sling during the day.
    Marti123

Answer by Marti123 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• If you don't want your child to be sleeping with you in the bed then do not give in and sleep with him, just lay him in his bed and pat his back or walk away, if he is tired he will sleep. As for waking in the night, he is still young, I don't think there is anything you can do about that.
    Anonymous

• Also, I know a lot of people might bash and you will probably disagree, but you could try putting him on his tummy, I bet he'd sleep for you then :) Both mine are tummy sleepers. Everyone in my family has been.
    Anonymous