Planned c-section already scheduled and now baby might be breech

I already have a c-section scheduled because I had one with my first. I just went to the doc yesterday and she thinks the baby is breech. I am going in for an ultrasound next week to find out. She said its not a big deal since I'm having a c but she just wants to know. Any thoughts on why she wants to know if its "not a big deal"? Does it change the way they perform the surgery?

Mel_in_PHX

Asked by Mel_in_PHX at 11:21 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• They need to know the exact position of the baby. They will give you another one right before you go in for surgery. It won't make any difference to you and your healing. Good luck! My daughter was breech.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:26 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Will they give me right before my c-section either way or only if she is breech?
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• They should check baby's position just before the surgery, no real need to know it much earlier, a baby can move within seconds... If you want to avoid the extra exposure, your belly can also be palpated now instead.
    Are you interested in a vaginal delivery? If you are having the repeat for no medical reason you do have options.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My daughter got stuck during delivery so a c-section was necessary. My doc told me that I have an 80% chance of that happening again and explained that it isn't worth the risk. That is why I decided to have another c. What is palpated?
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 12:52 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• It is nice to know what the first thing they are going to see is as they cut through. Gives the doctor an idea where to grab for the baby's neck. They are slippery little things. A few babies are cut during surgery. It is nice to know where the face is just in case to avoid any problems. Also good to check the location of the placenta. But it doesn't affect the surgery unless the doctor picks between left to right or right to left for the last incision. The more they know the fewer surprises there are. I only had ultrasound immediately before my breech. The other two were obviously head down.
    Anonymous

• Palpating is when an experienced pair of hands gently feels the abdomen for the baby's position.

Do you have true CPD? (genetic defect/illness/accident that makes it difficult to walk)
    You might like to hear more about your options if you are healthy. Getting "stuck" doesn't usually happen in normal labors. If mom is having a natural birth, she has very low risks. (Lower than a cesarean.)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:28 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• No, I'm healthy. I was told that my daughter was facing the wrong way so she couldn't tuck her chin. I think they are suppose to face toward your back.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 2:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Pre-early labor contractions (along with the mother's movement in labor) usually help encourage baby into the best position. Your baby was asynclitic, maybe posterior? That can make for a longer harder labor, I know! :-(
    Were you induced/have an epidural?

I am only offering thoughts and ideas to help... ;-) I don't mean to pester, lol!

Many moms are incorrectly told of their risks and odds, being vulnerable, they might not fully investigate or understand their options. I am hoping that you and your baby get the best care~ that you know you're choices are yours. You get to decide what you want.

Because of the poor maternity outcomes for far too many women, especially for Americans (don't know that you are), it is even more important to take extra precautions and to self-educate.
    Be sure you're choosing for your health, not the doc's convenience.

Good luck!!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:33 PM on Nov. 19, 2009