NY court: Married gay couples entitled to benefits, agree?

ALBANY, N.Y. – New York's top court on Thursday rejected a Christian legal group's challenge to some government benefits provided to gay couples legally married elsewhere and now living in New York.

The court rejected an argument that same-sex marriage was akin to incest and polygamy but avoided declaring that gay couples are entitled to all the rights of other married couples.

In a 4-3 decision on the narrow question of benefits, the Court of Appeals did not address whether the state must recognize same-sex marriage but encouraged the Legislature to settle the issue. The case was pushed by the Alliance Defense Fund of Scottsdale, Ariz.

A law to allow same-sex marriage in New York is hung up in the state Senate but could come to a vote before the end of the year. One judge warned that failing to address the larger question of recognizing same-sex marriages will create a problem.

Whi is a christian group involved?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:25 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• "You cannot ask people to change their heritage and beliefs because you want to live your life a certain way."

So, by that logic, slavery shouldn't have ended, women should never have won the right to vote, and inter-racial marriages should still be illegal. There were groups that protested those changes too...because they were long held traditions and beliefs.

Just because it's been happening for a long time, doesn't mean its right.
    DEpley

Answer by DEpley at 4:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Not all Christians are opposed to Gay rights or marriage. Just some extremists who take the bible too literally.
    LUVWJ

Answer by LUVWJ at 11:28 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• lol a christian group is involved because its against gods words.....Jesus people its not like its hurting anyone. Let people marry whoever. I just don't get why its such a big deal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• lol a christian group is involved because its against gods words

God's law is seperate form our law

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:31 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• God's law is seperate form our law

Obviously not when we don't allow gays to marry.
    JennRN09

Answer by JennRN09 at 11:34 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• God's law is seperate form our law Obviously not when we don't allow gays to marry.

LOL, This isTRUE...Should read, God's las is SUPPOSED to be seperate! At least according to our constitution

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Agree
    SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 11:40 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I think people should study the Constitution before ASSuming what it says.

This court has created a sticky situation. Their decision legislates from the bench. How can you give benefits FOR something, if it doesn't exist in the state to begin with. I think they have the cart before the horse.

I am opposed to gay "marriage." I don't have a problem with civil unions and benefits. I don't want that though if this small group is going to continue to try and legislate acceptance of a lifestyle that I find unacceptable. There are many others like me. Our numbers shrink though when this lifestyle is pushed into our schools and threatens our churches.

It has to be either about benfits or acceptance.........they aren't going to get both.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:56 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I absolutely agree!
    Yoshi_Yoshi

Answer by Yoshi_Yoshi at 12:07 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I wholly agree with specialkid! I have no problem with them receiving the same "benefits" as all citizens should...but forcing the rest of the world to accept their lifestyle is moronic. You cannot ask people to change their heritage and beliefs because you want to live your life a certain way. People will always disapprove of actions and people of all kinds...it isn't anybody's "right" to be liked or accepted for who they are.

AngelaKay

Answer by AngelaKay at 12:38 PM on Nov. 19, 2009