Do you always lose your mucus plug before labor and do you think I am close?

Ok sorry I am asking like a million questions here. I have just recently been to the doctor. I am 38 almost 39 wks. I am 2 cm dilated, 60% effaced but he is apparently still around -3 station, bobbing between that and -2 (I apparently have extra fluid in me, but he is OK). I have been drinking pineapple juice like crazy (heard it helps), walking, doing yoga and squats, etc. When she first checked me, 2 weeks ago, I had spotting and lots of cervical mucus. Not sure that was my plug or not...just wanted to know your thoughts about the mucus plug and I know labor is not really predictable but wanted to know if you all think I am close bc my husband has to leave town on the 28th for a day and gets back late on the 29th and I am due right around then...are there any other ways I can help speed it up starting closer to my due date? I have had Braxton Hicks for a bit now...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Your cervix can literally change over night but based on what you are saying... I dont think you are close to labor:( I am convinced that there is nothing you can do to put yourself in to it so I gave up trying with baby #2. No, you do not need to lose your plug before labor starts
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 11:33 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• No way to speed it up. Babies come when they are ready.

Pineapple juice won't help. There are lots of things people think may help but none of them have been proven. If they had been everyone would know about it. Walking may wear you out so when the real time comes you don't have enough energy.

First babies used to be usually late before doctors started inducing people. If you let nature take it's course there is no reason to believe your baby will come early.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:34 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i am pretty sure not every woman loses her mucus plug before labor :)

i think you are close, but it could still be 3 more weeks. just make sure you have a back up ride to the hospital (if that's where you plan to birth) on the 28th and 29th. is he still planning to go like if you have the baby on the 27th?

good luck and hang in there!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• oh i thought good advice might be to not have sex like on the 27th, just relax as much as possible because if you are near, that *can* get things going. unlikely though. gl!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I never saw a mucus plug or bloody show.

If your husband is leaving for a day thats probably when you will go into labor. Luckily labor should take more than a day so he should be back by then.

I went on a two hour walk and had my baby the next day- but if i had had her THAT day i would have been too sore to do anything so i dont recommend it!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:47 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I'm just over 35wks with my 2nd child and I lost my mucus plug last Friday. I researched online that normally but not necessarily most women will have the baby within a week to two weeks. Some women never lose their mucus plug and thats ok. I didn't with my first child and she was a week late. Good luck with everything...
    Cubsgirl02

Answer by Cubsgirl02 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• when you start to dialate the plug will start to come out.

I started dialating for each pregnancy at around 34weeks. and lost the mucous plug then as well.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 1:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• no not everyone will loose their mucus plug and even if you do theres a 50 50 % chance that you will or will not go into labor it really doesnt mean anything, nothing will help you go into labor not walking not pineapple juice not castor oil..etc.. the baby will come when the baby is ready..not everyones first baby is late i had mine 9 days early it just depends on when the baby is ready to come out you could go into labor in 2 days or on your due date theres no way to tell
    Anonymous

• Losing your mucus plug means absolutely nothing, honestly. Some people don't lose it whereas others do and have no signs of oncoming labor. Unfortunately that isn't one of that tall tale signs that labor is coming.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 3:12 PM on Nov. 19, 2009