Should I be concerned that my 7 year old is still wearing pull-ups at night?

kmhen

Asked by kmhen at 11:32 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would be. By this age typically developing children have achieved bm and urination control. Check with pediatrician it could be a medical reason for it. If there is no medical reason for it, try to find out the root of the problem.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 11:38 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Speak to his pediatrician, if he don't have any serious problems.

In my opinion: DON'T EMBARASSE HIM, OR YELL AT HIM.

He should not be wearing pull ups. Watch his drinking habits, be sure he don't drink 1/2 before bed, if a must 1 hour before bed. Make sure he empties his blatter 5 minutes before bed time.

Encourage him, he could be affraid, or something.
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 11:40 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My son actually pee'd in his bed until he was about 9.
    Talk to the pediatrician, this problem isn't uncommon.
    I initially tried with watching the drinking habits, but it didn't help at all.
    The pediatrician, mentioned that some children are very heavy sleepers and therefore don't realize when they have to get up and go, some children have smaller bladders (thus not letting them drink x amount before bed won't necessarily help, it didn't in my son's case)
    Some children have anixiety or stress or fears that could cause this.

I know its frustrating at times and concerning, but I can tell you my son grew out of it.

blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• There is nothing you can do about it. My son wet until he was 14. You can watch liquids, but it doesn't help. we tried everything. I think the alarm helps, but you have to really stick to it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:10 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I wet the bed until I was like 13, like PP said we tried EVERYTHING. Nothing worked until one day my mom finally took me to the doctor, he prescribed me..something, and I've been good ever since. SO, I would say take a trip to the doctor.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I WET MY BED UNTIL I WAS BOUT 9 LOL ME N MY TWIN SIS LOL !

AT LEAST U DONT HAVE TO CHANGE THE SHEETS EVERYDAY N UR SON IS NOT A TWIN LOL

TALK TO HIS PEDITRICIAN N SEE WUT HE SAYS .

TRY ASKIN UR SON HE PEES WHILE IN BED , OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT , BUT DONT BE HARSH , UNDERSTANDING , DONT GET FRUSTRATED AT HIM OR YELL CUZ THAT HE'LL SCARE HIM N IT MAY MAKE THINGS WORST !
    happymom1988

Answer by happymom1988 at 12:56 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Talk to him and talk to his dr. It's the kind of thing that's only a problem if you're not dealing with it. I used to know a woman who still put her 7 year old down in pull-ups every night because she didn't think he was ready to night train. No medical issues and he'd even suggested not using them but she insisted. She had other problems though, mostly revolving around not letting her kids grow up.

Has he been wearing them his whole life or did he relapse after training? Does he ever wake up to go? Does he wake up if he wets? You should think about the exact behaviors before you head to the dr because there's a big difference between a kid who wets because they're too deeply asleep and a kid who will wake up while they're peeing for example.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 2:27 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Sure, be a little concerned, but back-burner concerned. My dd wore pullups until she was 8 1/2 because she sleeps like a dead woman. We told her it was fine as long as she grew out of it before pullups didn't come in her size anymore. She did.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:04 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I wouldn't be. My 7yo still wears pull-ups at night. My son wore them until he was almost 7. He's 8 now and still occasionally wets the bed. Their doctor wouldn't even look for medical reasons unless they were still wetting the bed every night when they were 9. He was completely unconcerned and said it was normal, especially for boys, to wet the bed until they are 8 or 9 years old.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:59 AM on Nov. 20, 2009