Formula and Breastfeeding?

My son was born via C-Section and when he was ready to feed, I wasn't able to try to breastfeed because I was in so much pain and I had lost alot of blood, so me and dad decided to bottle feed. Now my breast milk is coming in and we tried last night to see if he'd take and he did. Now Im not sure if i should continue on the bottle path or breastfeed or do both. I don't want to confuse him but at the same time I've gotten used to the bottle feeding. Anyone have any suggestions?

krisholl2285

Asked by krisholl2285 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you want to breastfeed, then go for it. If you'd rather bottlefeed, but want him to have breastmilk, pump and bottlefeed him breastmilk. If you want to continue formula-feeding, then do that. If he's taking the breast after having been bottlefed for the past few days, then I wouldn't worry too much about confusion. If you start breastfeeding now, it's still entirely possible that he won't want anything to do with a bottle in another couple of weeks (that's how my daughter was).

Breast is best nutritionally, and having done both I can tell you from experience that breastfeeding is easier (and much cheaper) in the long run. You can still pump occasionally if you want to leave baby with someone else while you go out or run errands, or you can pump more often if you're going to work.

But overall, it's a personal decision.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:45 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• pump out your breast milk and put it in a bottle.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• :) congrats. use your boob!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:41 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I agree pump it out and bottle feed
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 11:42 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Do both. I did and it was great. I nursed whenever I was home, but if I was out I bottle fed with formula. I knew I was going back to work, so I would formula feed during the day. I started that when they were a few weeks old, dropping 1 BF session at a time. I nursed when I could. My kids had no nipple confusion at all.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:44 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i ddint have ac-section but i had a horribletime trying to nurse ds, so i choose to exclusevely pump. am at almost 9mts. i plan to pump till his 1
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i don't really get why people would say pump and give in bottle. that is just so much more WORK. if baby is taking breast that is great!!! i would try to talk to a lactation consultant but imo the best thing to do would be to breastfeed as much as possible but you might want to supplement formula at first since you have been formula feeding if your supply is low and try to cut it down a bit everyday. i'm not sure about that though, maybe you would have no supply problems and the best thing for your supply would be to go 100% boob. definitely try to talk to a lactation consultant. good luck!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• well stepanie,it depends. for me trying to nurse and yes i ahd a and lc come and LLL was horrible, for me pumping a is sooooooooooo easy. i pump every 4 hrs and get 4-6oz a pump. most mosm dont even get 1 oz from both so to me is really easy
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Breastfeed!!

Don't pump and feed by bottle. Pumping Sucks!

You have been given the great chance to breastfed. What do you mean you don't want to confuse him? Give him the best! Give him your milk!

Forget bottles and formula. Give him a gift that lasts a lifetime. Save tons of money. Just put him to the breast and let him go for it!
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:42 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• You're really lucky your babe will take the breast still so easily. Take advantage!!! Throw the bottles out completely and just nurse. In a couple weeks, you will be used to nursing and in a few months you will look back and not be able to imagine doing all the work of bottlefeeding!

Being "used" to bottlefeeding is no excuse... you have the opportunity to nurse your baby and it is best for you both in the long run. Start reading about the benefits of breastfeeding and the risks of formula and it should help to solidify your decision pretty quickly! :)
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2009