My 3yr old DD refuses to use the potty...HELP!

My 3 year old DD is almost 4, she knows how to use the potty and only wants to use the potty if were at a store. She says to me why shuld I use the potty if you change my diaper..how am I supposed to react to that. I am at a loss and at my witts end. Someone help me solve this problem I am gettin frustrated with this.

LnAsMom16

Asked by LnAsMom16 at 11:54 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• You have to get rid of the diapers. Buy her plenty of character undies. Tell her "you are a big girl now, no more diapers" But you have to stick to it. Wait until you are ready and have 3 days to stay home and devote to this because you can't go back. Good luck! It's OK to use pull ups at night for sleeping only.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:59 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Have you thought about using cloth training pants with the plastic pants over the top?

Maybe having the diaper makes her feel too comfortable and if she actually can feel how uncomfortable it is with wet pants she'll want to start going more often in the potty.

I never used pull ups and only used cloth diapers. Worked for my oldest, although my youngest was stubborn and he didn't start using the potty until he was nearly 5.

You could also try a reward system, toys or pennies each time she goes in the potty.
    Good luck :)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I agree with the above posters.
    Let your daughter pick out her favorite pairs of underpants. My daughter loves her my little pony and disney princess ones.
    anklebitr

Answer by anklebitr at 11:34 PM on Nov. 19, 2009