Should I invite my friend over for Thanksgiving?

I have a new friend who's just moved to the area, has no family or other friends, and was talking last night about seeing how much the Chinese place would cost for Thanksgiving dinner. I feel bad for her and would like to invite her to Thanksgiving dinner with my family (consisting of my husband, our two kids, my SIL and her husband, and my MIL). I asked my husband last night, though, and he said he feels like Thanksgiving is for family, but to go ahead and ask her if it would make me happy. I don't want to make my husband unhappy, but I would really like to include my friend. Should I take him at his word and invite my friend, or not?

DragonRiderMD

Asked by DragonRiderMD at 11:56 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Holidays

• I would invite her, but my husband would be more generous to offer.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I would invite her who knows she might not show up, but it's a holiday who want s to be alone? Your a good person for wanting to invite her!
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I would invite her. Everyone should have a place to go on Thanksgiving. She plains on having chinese on Thanksgiving , come on now please invite her. If you don't I will...
    Anonymous

• To me Thanksgiving is about both friends and family. I think you should invite her.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i'd go ahead and invite her! I dont think your hubby would be "unhappy", afterall he gave you the thumbs up. this is a very nice gesture! I dont think thanksgiving is limited to just family.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:12 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Friends and family are both things to be thankful for. It may be awkward at first to break a long standing tradition of who is present at your Thanskgiving dinner but I think in the end both you and your husband will feel better if you invite your friend to celebrate with you. If he gave you the go ahead and doesn't seem bitter about it then I don't think you would be breaking the peace by inviting her.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 12:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I can tell you feel it is the right thing to do so I think you should go for it. She may not accept but you will feel better for having asked. It is a good example to set for your kids that you reach out to people during the holidays. Make sure you tell your husband that you appreciate him being open to the idea and opening his home.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:24 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• I would definitely say invite her! You guys will have a blast. With no family in the area for Thanksgiving this year my DH and son and I have invited some of our very very good friends over for Thanksgiving dinner and plan on having a blast making it and eating it! I am sure the rest of your family will be just as accepting as your hubby...and would love to have her in your home ! You are such a sweet heart for wanting to invite her!
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 12:37 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• We have a relatively small family, so I feel my friends are part of my extended family. I would invite her, seems like the right thing to do. Were all the people at the table family at the "first Thanksgiving"?? No - so I feel the spirit of the holiday is the have people around you are thankful for. I bet she will be thankful for being included!!! Sometimes we have shoe our guys the bigger picture ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 1:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Whenever I was hosting a holiday event at my home, i.e., Thanksgiving or Christmas I would invite family, friends and anybody else that I felt would want to come or didn't have any family to spend the day with. Whenever I was going to a family members home that was hosting the holiday festivities I would only bring my immediate family. You can contact the family member you're visiting for Thanksgiving and ask them, but I am the type that would not invite w/o asking the homeowners permission.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 1:32 PM on Nov. 19, 2009