Horrible Diaper Rash, How To Prevent

My daughter sleeps about 14 hours straight each night, and about 4 hours in, she usually poos in her diaper. It sits there for the rest of the night and she is always always always getting diaper rashes. And then I can't make them go away because the nightly routine only makes them worse. What can I do? Am I going to have to wake her up in the middle of the night to change her diaper?

Call-Me-Mommy

Asked by Call-Me-Mommy at 11:58 AM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• thats what I did with my son. if he was already awake I quickly changed his diaper. if he was asleep but very poopy I'd be as gentle and quiet as I could be and change it. It isnt good to lay in poop for 14 hours lol. if you dd gets bad diaper rashes, during the day I'd let her air out for a bit. in other words, naked! apply a good diaper rash ointment or baby powder before the new diaper. what I do for my son is bathe him in oatmeal. works every time!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:01 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• My kids never pooped at night. Does she sleep through it? Try slopping a lot of Balmex on. It really works. It will get rid of and prevent diaper rash. Get the one on the tub. It's thick and works like magic.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:02 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Her poor little bottom!! I would wake her up if you know she has pooped, just change her quickly and quietly, keeping the lights as low as possible. Maybe even try to plan with pj's that are as easy as possible to get off and on again. If you snuggle or rock her for a minute after hopefully she will go right back to sleep when you put her down again. Maybe you can do this for at least a few nights until the diaper rash clears up and then see if you can get enough diaper cream coated to keep it from coming back. Hopefully her night time pooping won't last too long. Letting her be without the diaper some during the day will help the rash heal more quickly as well. Good luck!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:20 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Yep, you really have to wake her up for that. Way too long to sit in poop. I actually haven't heard of that before... my kids always waited to poop until after they got up, and if they didn't, we knew it.. to get rid of the rash, give her a LOT of air time (even if it means cleaning up some accidents, because that's really the only thing that will get rid of a bad one. Then just check on her before you got to bed or whenever you think she may have pooped. most likely the diaper change won't fully wake her up beyond repair... Hopefully soon she'll learn to hold it so you won't have to mess with her sleep.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 12:43 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Change her diaper. When my son got a diaper rash we tried EVERY cream, the only one that works is called Triple cream and its awesome!! When he has a rash I ice his butt like a cake lol and the rash is gone, give it a try.x
    daralynn

Answer by daralynn at 1:06 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• well theres a ton of different creams you can try if none of those work use corn starch it keeps the area dry you can try using a cream and the corn starch together thats what i did...you cant use regular baby powder on babies ( idk how old yours is ) but they do have one thats 100% corn starch..after it's cleared up continue to use that to prevent..and yes 14hrs is way to long to sit in pee or poop you need to be changing her diaper every 4 hrs ATLEAST if not sooner ... honestly how would you feel if you pooed yourself and had to sit/lay in it for 14 hrs
    Anonymous

• I would at least check on her if she makes a habit of pooping everynight then I give her the sniff test and if she's pooped then she for sure needs to be changed.
    For just pee... put down a barrier layer of either vaseline or the clear desitin to protect her skin.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i would suggest putting on cream before bed, if you know she has pooped clean up right away even if sleeping. Also my little one had rashes and come to find out she had issues with certian brands of diapers. and we had to stick to the same brand (no huggies for us)

Good luck
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 2:08 PM on Nov. 19, 2009