MIL and thanksgiving ( NEED ADVICE)

okay i spoke to my mil last month asked her she was doing and she asked if we wanted to have it together this year. I told her yes and she asked if we could have it at her house I said sure. Last week she tell me that me that we need to find a ride to her house( our car is broke down) she is too busy to get us. I was like WTF too busy to take 15 min we don't live that far from her. I told my dh we were not going we can go to my moms who will be more than happy to get us. I thought it would be wrong to ask someone to take us to his moms like her time is more important that anyone else.
What do you think am I being overly sensitive? How would you feel and what would you do

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Nov. 19, 2009 in Relationships

• tell her if she cant come get you you cant go.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:05 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Could you ask her to pick you up earlier in the day, and then you would be there to help her with more of the preparations? Or are there any other family members going to her house that could pick you up on the way? I understand where you are coming from but she is hosting the dinner and it isn't her job to provide your transportation as well. If there isn't a solution then I would just politely tell her that you want to come but you don't have a ride and will have to make other plans. Don't make a big deal out of it, this isn't worth a big family scene.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:09 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• i would just say --- hey since we have NO WAY to get to your house and you have a car i want to move the dinner to my house... end of story. if she complains, tell her she can pick you up, or she can come over for dinner. that you cannot change having a broken down car and she needs to compromise a little more.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:14 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

• Why not have hubby get her car the night before and then you can drive yourselves over that day.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 12:16 PM on Nov. 19, 2009

I wanted to have it at my house for this reason, but she asked if we could at her house... stupid me to assume that they would come pick us up. No there is no one else going

Why ask to have it at your house knowing we don't have transportation then tell us we need to find a ride it's just her being a bitch as usual it's not like we are flaky and need rides everywhere.
    Anonymous

The day she lets anyone borrow her car is the day hell freezes over
    Anonymous

• Then it sounds like an easy answer. Just tell her you have no way to get there and have Thanksgiving at your own home.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:35 PM on Nov. 19, 2009